X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrlammers
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Err, how about no? Get over it, PulseAudio is the future (and it really is much better than OSS4, plain ALSA or ALSA/ESD).
    Future or not, some people just want it to WORK. And I can't blame them.

For me, Pulseaudio is a royal pain in the behind. Although I am sure I can find a workaround, I do not want to "get over it", I want a permanent solution to the problem.

Leave a comment:

• panda84
    replied
    Originally posted by dextro View Post
    I for one welcome pulseaudio and devicekit and every abstraction layer that actually brings something useful to the table (so no, I don't welcome Phonon) like being able to to use a bluetooth headset without having to drop to the command line and read lord knows how many man pages and docs till I get my sound working at the precise time I don't need it anymore.
    Phonon makes Amarok work on Windows for me:

Nor pulseaudio nor devicekit help Amarok working on Windows.
    So yes, I welcome Phonon.

If you can't see what advantages pulseaudio brings to the table you are clearly not looking at the bigger picture.
    If you can't see what advantages Phonon brings to the table you are clearly not looking at the bigger picture.

You know: I like to write simple code that automatically supports Xine, Gstreamer, VLC, Mplayer, DirectShow9, QuickTime and whatnot.

Leave a comment:

• n0nsense
    replied
    I'll say it again.
    In theory, PA is nice.
    In practice, it was always a pain to remove it.
    Am I the only one using Linux box as HTPC ?
    all of you happy with stereo instead of 5.1/7.1 ?
    Non of you tried to connect HTPC to receiver with single optical cable ?

Leave a comment:

• val-gaav
    replied
    Originally posted by dextro View Post
    so no, I don't welcome Phonon
    Actually phonon is quite useful, mostly for programers to enable multifrontends without the need to extra code, but for users too to not have duplicate engines on their machine or to force the engine that in user perspective is better uses less memory...
    Well that's the theory though right now it has gstreamer and xine to choose from. I for one would welcome mplayer backend :P, as that's the engine I mainly use anyway I do not need xine or gstreamer.

In other words phonon is also the future, not quite the present, just like PA.

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    PulseAudio kicks ass. The few cpu cycles it uses are a small price to pay.

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    I only get pops with my X-Fi using snd-usb-audio. I have to use the FFMPEG resampler.

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    Pulseaudio works fine for me under arch, it actually gets rid of crackles and pops that I started getting.

Leave a comment:

• cliff
    replied
    Does this mean my sound will no longer snap,crackle,pop, & turn off in Ubuntu 9.10??
    It seems like when a new release comes out they always break the sound somehow. Next time I'm going to wait a couple months before upgrading.

Leave a comment:

• dextro
    replied
    Originally posted by some-guy View Post
    FYI, Ubuntu just kills PA, so if you are having problems with it, try it from another distro before you complain to the PA people
    This! If your are having problems I would suggest you check another distro first cause Ubuntu has some very cute patches that basically revert pulseaudio to the state it was in a couple of years back.

I too had a lot of popping and hissing in pulseaudio back in fedora 9 and fedora 10 completely broke it for me as it did for many people since it implemented a new feature that was supposed to reduce said problems. Said feature eventually started working flawlessly in my 2 computers (Audigy 4 in desktop, Intel HDA in the laptop) and now I'm a happy camper. My audio in Linux is working better for me than in a certain OS from Redmond even.

I for one welcome pulseaudio and devicekit and every abstraction layer that actually brings something useful to the table (so no, I don't welcome Phonon) like being able to to use a bluetooth headset without having to drop to the command line and read lord knows how many man pages and docs till I get my sound working at the precise time I don't need it anymore.

If you can't see what advantages pulseaudio brings to the table you are clearly not looking at the bigger picture.

Leave a comment:

• some-guy
    replied
    FYI, Ubuntu just kills PA, so if you are having problems with it, try it from another distro before you complain to the PA people

Leave a comment:

Working...
X