Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Every time a new PulseAudio version arrives, a little bunny dies
    Please people. Think about the wee bunnies.

You can save a bunny by simply not supporting any unnecessary abstraction layers that clutter our systems.

Save a Bunny today!

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      Did you configure the daemon.conf in /etc/pulse? That alone resolves nearly all issues I always have with PA on my machines. Installing the extra PA controls (I don't know why nobody includes them) also helps in certain situations.
      Well no, I did not try to tweak daemon.conf. At the moment I'm living happy with plain ALSA, erverything work as it should and cpu overhead is acceptably low. Maybe next time I'll give it a chance, but I can't say I like a software that works so bad out-of-the-box.

Comment

FYI, Ubuntu just kills PA, so if you are having problems with it, try it from another distro before you complain to the PA people

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
          FYI, Ubuntu just kills PA, so if you are having problems with it, try it from another distro before you complain to the PA people
          This! If your are having problems I would suggest you check another distro first cause Ubuntu has some very cute patches that basically revert pulseaudio to the state it was in a couple of years back.

I too had a lot of popping and hissing in pulseaudio back in fedora 9 and fedora 10 completely broke it for me as it did for many people since it implemented a new feature that was supposed to reduce said problems. Said feature eventually started working flawlessly in my 2 computers (Audigy 4 in desktop, Intel HDA in the laptop) and now I'm a happy camper. My audio in Linux is working better for me than in a certain OS from Redmond even.

I for one welcome pulseaudio and devicekit and every abstraction layer that actually brings something useful to the table (so no, I don't welcome Phonon) like being able to to use a bluetooth headset without having to drop to the command line and read lord knows how many man pages and docs till I get my sound working at the precise time I don't need it anymore.

If you can't see what advantages pulseaudio brings to the table you are clearly not looking at the bigger picture.

Comment

Does this mean my sound will no longer snap,crackle,pop, & turn off in Ubuntu 9.10??
            It seems like when a new release comes out they always break the sound somehow. Next time I'm going to wait a couple months before upgrading.

Comment

Pulseaudio works fine for me under arch, it actually gets rid of crackles and pops that I started getting.

Comment

I only get pops with my X-Fi using snd-usb-audio. I have to use the FFMPEG resampler.

Comment

PulseAudio kicks ass. The few cpu cycles it uses are a small price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by dextro View Post
                    so no, I don't welcome Phonon
                    Actually phonon is quite useful, mostly for programers to enable multifrontends without the need to extra code, but for users too to not have duplicate engines on their machine or to force the engine that in user perspective is better uses less memory...
                    Well that's the theory though right now it has gstreamer and xine to choose from. I for one would welcome mplayer backend :P, as that's the engine I mainly use anyway I do not need xine or gstreamer.

In other words phonon is also the future, not quite the present, just like PA.

Comment

I'll say it again.
                      In theory, PA is nice.
                      In practice, it was always a pain to remove it.
                      Am I the only one using Linux box as HTPC ?
                      all of you happy with stereo instead of 5.1/7.1 ?
                      Non of you tried to connect HTPC to receiver with single optical cable ?

Comment

Working...
                      X