• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PulseAudio hasn't died yet? Damn.

Comment

Every time a new PulseAudio version arrives, a little bunny dies

Comment

To be honest most problems caused by pulse-audio on my setup seem to have been solved quite recently. It actually starts to be useful now.
        I do hope it will be eventually repaired.

Comment

Why is it that people gripe and complain every time something functional comes around? I'm also talking about DBus and HAL. PulseAudio is a brilliant system that needs maturing. It complements ALSA.

What I can't stand, though, is them saying that PulseAudio should run per-user. That seems retarded.

Comment

I like PA. It actually resolved a lot of issues I was having. However, it does tax resources; my poor laptop sounds like crap when I use it. On a desktop it's wonderful though.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
              i'd love to see some real stats on this. it works fine all all my machines. i am sure it works well for the people releasing distros (nobody likes to release code they no is broken).

maybe it does work for 99% of machines. if so then for each million linux users they would be 10,000 grumpy ones complaining.
              It has issues on almost all the machines I tested it.
              Tried OpenSUSE on the laptop (HDT HD codec: no audio
              Tried OpenSUSE on the desktop (SBLive 1024): no audio
              Tried Fedora 10 and 11 on the laptop: audio working bad (jittering, cracking and popping), then applications get locked. Not to mention the high cpu usage and freezing all the applications that try to use pure ALSA.

As I said previously, I removed the executable (because you can't uninstall: it will take away three thousands other packages...) and then everything automagically started to work as expected. I can't say I had a good experience with pulseaudio.

Comment

Did you configure the daemon.conf in /etc/pulse? That alone resolves nearly all issues I always have with PA on my machines. Installing the extra PA controls (I don't know why nobody includes them) also helps in certain situations.

Comment

Originally posted by enteon View Post
                  Ok, thank you. So what can I do about it except changing the sound chip? Because in fact I have an Audigy 2 ZS (emu10k1 or something).
                  What exact problems are you running into? I'm daily using one machine with an Audigy 2 ZS, and I can't really say I'm experiencing any problems with it and PulseAudio. Haven't done anything to make it work either. In fact it works out of the box in at least Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by AHSauge View Post
                    What exact problems are you running into? I'm daily using one machine with an Audigy 2 ZS, and I can't really say I'm experiencing any problems with it and PulseAudio. Haven't done anything to make it work either. In fact it works out of the box in at least Fedora.

That's my main card as well. Only problem I had was PA defaulting to 2ch sound, but that is easily resolved by editing PA's daemon.conf file.

Comment

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                      What distro are you using? Did you have to remove pulse? Was it a hassle?
                      kubuntu , I didn't remove it it was never part of default install

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      I really doubt you are using ALSA directly. More likely, you are using an obsolete sound daemon like ESD, which provides about 1/10 the functionality of Pulse and has worse quality to boot.
                      Not really it's ALSA so says Smplayer and other apps where you can select the frontend. Some KDE internal apps may use phonon but that is a bit different multimedia/audio layer then Pulseaudio.

BTW even in old KDE 3.5 I disabled obsolete arts to free up some memory and just used alsa directly with apps.
                      Last edited by val-gaav; 11 November 2009, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X