No announcement yet.

Reiser4 May Go For Mainline Inclusion In 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why should edward stop to work on butterfs?

the extX devs should have never started with ex4 and instead either helped Edward or with butterfs.

Comment

one thing for sure: reiser4 is fucking robust. Had a bunch of hard reboots thanks to some driver testing - and reiser4 survived them all.

it also works around missing barriers - because unlike ext4 reiser4 cares about your data.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

the extX devs should have never started with ex4 and instead either helped Edward or with butterfs.
        People already hit limits in Ext3 (e.g. volumes larger than 16 TB) back in 2006 and everybody knew that btrfs won't be ready in time. Ext4 is there to bridge the gap, and we need it.

It will be possible to transparently convert an Ext3/Ext4 filesystem to btrfs, so what's the problem?

Comment

one thing for sure: reiser4 is fucking robust. Had a bunch of hard reboots thanks to some driver testing - and reiser4 survived them all.

it also works around missing barriers - because unlike ext4 reiser4 cares about your data.
          This + 1 million! Man, I thought randomly losing data in ext4 was because it was alpha software. Then it stopped being alpha... then a year passed...

Comment

one thing for sure: reiser4 is <foul_language> robust. Had a bunch of hard reboots thanks to some driver testing - and reiser4 survived them all.

I have been using Reiser4 for about 2 years on my laptop, and I am very satisfied with the performance of Reiser4.
            Can compress the data stored on the disk. Effectively doubling the storage on the hard-drive, doubles the speed of reading and writing, gives a more responsive system, causes less wear of hard-drive and conserves power. Can also encrypt data transparently.

This is why I originally tried Reiser4, It is the only filesystem, that provides such solutions.

I would recommend Reiser4 using the cryptcompress plugin for transparent compression based on my experience, but http://lwn.net/Articles/226251/ is warning, that the feature is experimental!

Comment

I am usung reiser4 for root, var and home, compression turned on.

I have the portage tree in /var.
              /dev/md2 36G 13G 23G 36% /var

A few days ago, 16gb were full.

I removed 8gb of uncompressed stuff

Comment

Energyman, I'll have to give Reiser4 another go sometime.. But i'm still going strong
                with reiser3.My mobo has been failing this last month and giving instantaneous
                reboots (I've isolated the problem) but reiser3 hasn't had a hiccup. It's great,
                and hard to leave it behind for the unknown that is reiser4.

And I don't normally flame, but.. about this post.

To the people suggesting new names - Sorry but you're slightly id**ts.
                It's Reiserfs and no bulldozer will change it. No offence really ;>

Imho it's fairly obvious Reiser4 will never be in the kernel. Hans murdered his wife
                AND he didn't make many friends before-hand either. Imagine the bad PR for linux if it was included.

And strike three... Phoronix is blatantly cooking up controversial stories for it's
                own coverage. I'd forgiven you about all the times you've been wrong about new Linux major game releases,
                but this story is the bees knees. Slow/No news day ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  Nothing anyone can possibly say will ever change the mind of a conspiracy nut. The best I can hope for is to get a little entertainment out of one by pissing him off (I'm laughing at you).

You know what really happened? Bill Gates had her killed. Seriously. If Linux had such an advanced file system it would shut Windows down today. They didn't want give Riser immortality by making him a martyr so they framed him to discredit him and his work. They then coerced a confession out of him by holding his kids hostage. Follow the money. A few hundred thousand to frame some Joe for murder vs the millions required for patent litigation against Linux. Easy choice. Did you know if you fold a twenty dollar bill just right you can see the chair that was removed from his car? This can't be coincidence.
                  Dude, you're awesome . Gave me a good laugh.

Anyways, my thoughts on Reiser4 is, go ahead and bring it into the kernel if its stable. I heard it wasn't stable and had issues a couple years back when it was new, maybe things have changed. If so it deserves to be in the kernel as it can be a quality file system under those conditions I'm sure.

Comment

great news !

so two experts of reiserfs v3.6 and Reiser4 are working on butterfs ?

so it's definitely going to be the next big thing

there's (still a lot of) stuff other filesystems can learn from Reiser4: transparent work in the background (e.g. during flushing [and compressing data] to disk you can still work with your system without interruptions), ...

Comment

Originally posted by stevenaaus View Post
                      Imho it's fairly obvious Reiser4 will never be in the kernel. Hans murdered his wife AND he didn't make many friends before-hand either.
                      Well, he didn't make enough afterwards either (http://cbs5.com/crime/hans.reiser.at....905257.html):

Corrections Lt. Sam Robinson said that Hans Reiser suffered some cuts and bruises after he was jumped by several inmates on their way back to their cells after a morning meal.

Reiser was checked out and treated for his injuries. The prison has put him in a special cell, isolated from the general population as a precaution.

and for those who wish to believe is innocent

But in a plea deal, he was sentenced for second-degree murder after leading authorities to his wife's remains, which were buried in the Oakland Hills.

The deal spared Reiser the death penalty but prosecutors said he will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Where is that bulldozer farm?

Comment

Working...
                      X