• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Zajec View Post
    I have found screenshots comparing 1.0 vs. 1.1 on polish news page:

Looks promising for me. Would like to see Google reconsidering using Theora for Youtube. Last time they complained about lower quality for low resolutions movies.
    if thats for real, theora has about matched 264.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    That would be a really big hit to flash and h264.
    Errr... Only h.264, really. Flash is a container. You can junk whatever you want inside it, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by Zajec View Post

Looks promising for me.
    If we judge just from the pics, it looks promising yes.

Would like to see Google reconsidering using Theora for Youtube. Last time they complained about lower quality for low resolutions movies.
    That would be a really big hit to flash and h264.

Leave a comment:

• Zajec
    replied

Looks promising for me. Would like to see Google reconsidering using Theora for Youtube. Last time they complained about lower quality for low resolutions movies.

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    I've been waiting for Theora to reach a decent quality level. I want to use it for backup up my personal DVDs, but it just wasn't quite there before. Looking good. This is certainly adequate for youtube stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by lem79 View Post
    Is the container different for Theora and Vorbis? Did you mean the preferred file extension?
    No the container for both is the same and it is ogg. So lets say you transcode movie1.mpeg with theora. The result will be movie1.ogg.
    If you transcode the audio sound1.wav with vorbis the result will be sound1.ogg as well.
    But just to be more obvious if an ogg file contains video or just audio, usually people just rename the movie1.ogg to movie1.ogv (ogg video) and sound1.ogg to sound1.oga (ogg audio) or they leave that last one as just sound1.ogg.
    So finally for movies we have the ogv extension and for audio ogg or oga

Now about Theora Thusnelda:
    HURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Leave a comment:

• bulletxt
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    "Ogg Vorbis" - Audio
    "Ogg Theora" - Video
    "Ogg" - Something that contains one or both of the above :P

So saying "the Ogg audio format" is actually quite OK, it just doesn't mention that the "Ogg audio format" is called "Ogg Vorbis." It's like saying "the Linux kernel audio API". It doesn't mention explicitly that it refers to "ALSA", but is correct. There is a Linux kernel audio API, just as there is an Ogg audio format.

No you're not understsanding.... there was a typo error as soon as the article was published "formmat"

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied
    Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
    BTW for Theora videos the preferred container is actually ogv and ogg is for audio because it's well always been so no point to confuse peole and change it for example to oga. They're both technically same it's just for distinction.
    Is the container different for Theora and Vorbis? Did you mean the preferred file extension?

Leave a comment:

• blindfrog
    replied
    Excellent! Free multimedia FTW! Now would be nice to see some unbiased tests comparing h.264, xvid, divx and theora thusnelda.

BTW for Theora videos the preferred container is actually ogv and ogg is for audio because it's well always been so no point to confuse peole and change it for example to oga. They're both technically same it's just for distinction.

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied
    Theora encoding/transcoding benches ftw, yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X