Theora 1.1 Thusnelda Is Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    If Theora can do what H.264 (with x264) can currently do, namely compress an 1080p BluRay to 4GB and still look awesome, then it might be accepted as a true alternative. It's not unlikely; Vorbis beat MP3 and matched ACC. Now it's Theora's turn?
    This will never happen for even the best encoder that is compatible with the Theora format as it is today. Theora has a fairly low limit on motion vectors. This limit is reached very quickly in high-motion 1080p material. When this limit is reached, the next frame can't build on the previous one, so encoding performance is utterly destroyed. The only way to fix this, is to create a "Theora HD" which breaks compatibility.

Note that this is not a problem at all for high-motion material with fewer pixels, or for high-resolution material with little motion. Most Youtube videos fall into this category. A good Theora encoder could very well beat H.264 for these kinds of videos.

Comment

YouTube is using 720p H.264 now. I don't know if they have plans to use 1080p in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        This will never happen for even the best encoder that is compatible with the Theora format as it is today. Theora has a fairly low limit on motion vectors. This limit is reached very quickly in high-motion 1080p material. When this limit is reached, the next frame can't build on the previous one, so encoding performance is utterly destroyed. The only way to fix this, is to create a "Theora HD" which breaks compatibility.

Note that this is not a problem at all for high-motion material with fewer pixels, or for high-resolution material with little motion. Most Youtube videos fall into this category. A good Theora encoder could very well beat H.264 for these kinds of videos.
        As far as I know too, theora aims to compete with Xvid/DivX and even H264 on lower resolution movies, rather than H264 at HD ones. For the latter, Dirac aims to compete with H264, though it needs a lot of work still.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          As far as I know too, theora aims to compete with Xvid/DivX and even H264 on lower resolution movies, rather than H264 at HD ones. For the latter, Dirac aims to compete with H264, though it needs a lot of work still.

Right now the focus, at least as far as people like Redhat seem to be concerned, is for web content. Low-bitrate, low resolution type stuff.

720p in Youtube is the extreme upper range of anything people are likely to want to deal with bandwidth-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            Right now the focus, at least as far as people like Redhat seem to be concerned, is for web content. Low-bitrate, low resolution type stuff.

720p in Youtube is the extreme upper range of anything people are likely to want to deal with bandwidth-wise.
            I don't agree. 24mbit connections are widespread, with 8mbit being a very common lower-bound. Since streaming 1080p H.264 can be done with 4mbit, it's already a reality.

720p on YouTube has nothing "extreme upper range" in it; you can watch it realtime with a 2mbit connection, and 2mbit is pretty much the lowest broadband speed you can get (and mostly you can't; lowest is 4mbit in most places.)

Comment

I don't agree. 24mbit connections are widespread, with 8mbit being a very common lower-bound. Since streaming 1080p H.264 can be done with 4mbit, it's already a reality.

720p on YouTube has nothing "extreme upper range" in it; you can watch it realtime with a 2mbit connection, and 2mbit is pretty much the lowest broadband speed you can get (and mostly you can't; lowest is 4mbit in most places.)
              Unless you live in Australia and have Telstra as the company controlling the majority of the infrastructure.

Here's something to laugh at: Telstra thinks 256kbit is Fast (BigPond is Telstra's internet retail arm)

And those quotas... dear God, can't wait for our NBN to be built and Telstra structurally separated. Worst. Telco. Ever.

Comment

I don't agree. 24mbit connections are widespread, with 8mbit being a very common lower-bound.
                ahahhaahaha. Man i thought republicans where oblivious to the world around them. This takes the cake .

Comment

I don't live in Australia. I live in Greece, in a distant island even, and have 24mbit DSL. No quotas (flatrate is the standard). Greece is a country that offers quite slow connections compared to the rest of Europe.

So, to put it bluntly: "ahahhaahaha. Man i thought Americans where oblivious to the world around them. This takes the cake "

You have bandwidth problems in the U.S., but there's more in the world than just the U.S.

Comment

Most 720p content on YouTube has little motion either. But I agree, if Youtube is to use a free format on HD content too, it has to work for the rare high-motion content too. There are two options: Dirac or a fixed Theora for HD.

Comment

As a xiph.org hacker (currently in charge of the Theora java decoder) I'm of course quite happy that we finally got Theora 1.1 out of the door.

Currently most 720p online video right now is about 2 Mbit/s, which quite frankly isn't enough for any current codec to show 720p with proper details. If in the future 4 Mbit/s is available (not the clients are the problems, but video streaming is costly if you need to keep thousands of 4 Mbit/s connections alive) I'd very much prefer it being invested in high-quality 720p instead of mediocre 1080p.

Comment

Working...
                      X