Theora 1.1 Thusnelda Is Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
    Is the container different for Theora and Vorbis? Did you mean the preferred file extension?
    No the container for both is the same and it is ogg. So lets say you transcode movie1.mpeg with theora. The result will be movie1.ogg.
    If you transcode the audio sound1.wav with vorbis the result will be sound1.ogg as well.
    But just to be more obvious if an ogg file contains video or just audio, usually people just rename the movie1.ogg to movie1.ogv (ogg video) and sound1.ogg to sound1.oga (ogg audio) or they leave that last one as just sound1.ogg.
    So finally for movies we have the ogv extension and for audio ogg or oga

Now about Theora Thusnelda:
    HURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Comment

I've been waiting for Theora to reach a decent quality level. I want to use it for backup up my personal DVDs, but it just wasn't quite there before. Looking good. This is certainly adequate for youtube stuff.

Comment

I have found screenshots comparing 1.0 vs. 1.1 on polish news page:

Looks promising for me. Would like to see Google reconsidering using Theora for Youtube. Last time they complained about lower quality for low resolutions movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post

Looks promising for me.
          If we judge just from the pics, it looks promising yes.

Would like to see Google reconsidering using Theora for Youtube. Last time they complained about lower quality for low resolutions movies.
          That would be a really big hit to flash and h264.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            That would be a really big hit to flash and h264.
            Errr... Only h.264, really. Flash is a container. You can junk whatever you want inside it, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post

Looks promising for me. Would like to see Google reconsidering using Theora for Youtube. Last time they complained about lower quality for low resolutions movies.
              if thats for real, theora has about matched 264.

Comment

Don't know about matched, but it's certainly getting closer:

and it has already surpassed 263:
                Last edited by whizse; 26 September 2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

What is more important is what Google will do with on2, once the purchase is finalized.

Very likely Google will make the VP codec open source, so VP can be the video codec for HTML5.

VP7 is used in Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    if thats for real, theora has about matched 264.
                    No. Google wanted h.264 for HTML5 fot it's awesome quality/size and hardware acceleration availability.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Errr... Only h.264, really. Flash is a container. You can junk whatever you want inside it, I think.
                      Yes Flash Video is a container. I just mean that with Theora implementation in youtube, you don't need flash player to play the videos in firefox since they are supported out of the box.

Comment

Working...
                      X