Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    kraftman,
    Have you ever kissed a girl?
    lol you bad.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Always glad to help

It's funny how Kebbaberts trolling works:

first post is usually neutral, then attack begins and then he repeats same things all time.
      I never get an good answer on my questions. I can try again:

Question: I am actually only collecting links from Linux kernel devs and present them here. I paste links from Linux kernel devs here. And also links from articles on the internet. Am I lying or Trolling or FUDing then? Yes or no? Can I get an answer, yes or no? Is it Trolling or FUDing to paste links? Yes or no?

Yes or no? Can I get an answer?

Comment

11 millions line of code for one simple KERNEL. That is huge. It is funny you dont agree with Linus T nor with me. Entire Windows NT was 10 millions LoC. Solaris is much smaller than bloated Linux. Every OS is much smaller than Linux. Maybe except Vista.
        That's with drivers and kernel core code. The bulk of the code in Vista's and NT's case is almost all kernel code with almost NO drivers (they don't ship with anywhere near the level of support for devices we do...).

I will make this observation: The "slower" isn't always the case with new OS versions; having said this, many of the slowdowns are perceptual things as much as anything else- BFS reveals some weak spots in the scheduler we have now (which is where the slowdowns really started showing up as best as I can tell- when CFS showed up as the default...).

Couple this with some "off" drivers Intel inflicted on mainline a while back... heh...

Comment

I never get an good answer on my questions.
          It could be because your tone in your posting... Backing up, calming down, and doing what you just did would and will help.

Question: I am actually only collecting links from Linux kernel devs and present them here. I paste links from Linux kernel devs here. And also links from articles on the internet. Am I lying or Trolling or FUDing then? Yes or no? Can I get an answer, yes or no? Is it Trolling or FUDing to paste links? Yes or no?
          Depends on what you're precisely doing.

The claim that the kernel itself is 11Mloc and comparing it to NT's 10Mloc is comparing apples to grapefruits. NT's codebase is almost purely KERNEL code. Linux' codebase is nearly half drivers. Taking an aggressive position on bloat and using that comparison can look like FUD or Trolling and it's been a game of the people who DO that thing in the MS camp.

Do we need to trim some things out? Heck, YES! Is Linux "bloated"? Maybe, but it's not the size you think it is. So if it's needing trimming, just precisely what needs the work? Do you get to decide? Do I? Perhaps- but if that's the case, you'd better step up and convince the LKML crowd of what you propose. Otherwise, you'll not get very far and will be just labeled as a 'troller'.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            It could be because your tone in your posting... Backing up, calming down, and doing what you just did would and will help.
            Maybe you havent read that people call me a "troll", "idiot", "dumb", etc, for posting links? I am not making things up. I have collected links that I present here. For pasting links, I am being called idiot. I wonder why? I am not FUDing nor Lying. I show links.

The claim that the kernel itself is 11Mloc and comparing it to NT's 10Mloc is comparing apples to grapefruits. NT's codebase is almost purely KERNEL code. Linux' codebase is nearly half drivers. Taking an aggressive position on bloat and using that comparison can look like FUD or Trolling and it's been a game of the people who DO that thing in the MS camp.
            This is interesting. Can you back up your claims? If it is true that half of Linux 11 MloC is drivers, then it is not as bad as I thought. And NTs codebase of 10MloC is almost purely Kernel code? Can you back that up?

Do we need to trim some things out? Heck, YES! Is Linux "bloated"? Maybe, but it's not the size you think it is. So if it's needing trimming, just precisely what needs the work? Do you get to decide? Do I? Perhaps- but if that's the case, you'd better step up and convince the LKML crowd of what you propose. Otherwise, you'll not get very far and will be just labeled as a 'troller'.
            Come on, 11 M LoC of kernel code is TOO much. That is a fact. I think Linus T can trim the Kernel down. Which it needs badly.

I have heard that there are 5 broken APIs for sound in the Linux kernel. Is that true? If that is true, no wonder the kernel is 11 M LoC...

Comment

@kebabbert: can you PLEASE open a new thread to discuss whatever you want to discuss? This is the BFS scheduler thread so let's not derail it any further.

Comment

This is interesting. Can you back up your claims? If it is true that half of Linux 11 MloC is drivers, then it is not as bad as I thought. And NTs codebase of 10MloC is almost purely Kernel code? Can you back that up?
                So you don't even know what are you been saying all along? You can keep bashing Linux all you want and whine about "bloat", but its not going to help your credibility if you don't know what your talking about.

Come on, 11 M LoC of kernel code is TOO much. That is a fact. I think Linus T can trim the Kernel down. Which it needs badly.
                Of course there are lines of code in kernel. It supports something like 50 different cpu archs and gazzillion drivers out of box. Scales from cellphone to supercomputer. You think those come from free? When your precious Solaris support 50 cpu arcs and same amount of hardware as Linux, then we can have this conversation again.

You should really think if your trolling is going to help Solaris. Bashing Linux isn't going to help Solaris. When your mind is saying "Now I have to go [insert forum] troll about how bad Linux is!" instead you should think how you can help Solaris without bashing Linux or any other OS.

DISCLAIMER: English is not my native language.

Comment

Originally posted by Zetbo View Post
                  Of course there are lines of code in kernel. It supports something like 50 different cpu archs and gazzillion drivers out of box. Scales from cellphone to supercomputer. You think those come from free? When your precious Solaris support 50 cpu arcs and same amount of hardware as Linux, then we can have this conversation again.
                  The difference is just Linux archive is big (I don't see there's something wrong with package being big) and Slowlaris kernel is bloated. Linux kernel you run isn't big or bloated. You just have to download some more data and then you use maybe 1/5 or much, much less (so it's really slim ). Oh, Slowlaris is big, fat, slow, bloated [...] and almost dead cow :> He won't be able to help

@BlackStar

I recommended this idiot the same some time ago, but you know... he's a troll or he's incredibly dumb. :>

He sometimes just wash his trolls face and masks it behind some idiotic questions.
                  Last edited by kraftman; 26 September 2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zetbo View Post
                    So you don't even know what are you been saying all along? You can keep bashing Linux all you want and whine about "bloat", but its not going to help your credibility if you don't know what your talking about.
                    What do you mean I dont know what I talk about? I claim that Linux kernel is 11 MLoC. I have said this all the time. I have also claimed that Linus T thinks the Linux kernel is bloated. Are these things I claim, not true? Is the Linux kernel in fact 2 MLoC when I claim it is 11MloC - which would show that I do not know what I claim? Has Linus T said that kernel is slim - which would show that I do not know what I talk about?

Remember, all the things I claim, I have collected from sources such as Linux kernel devs, articles, etc. I can ALWAYS post them links. I never make up anything. I can ALWAYS prove my claims. Remember that I am merely collecting links, and post them here. These are not my own opinions - because I never looked into the Linux source code. I dont have time to build an own opinion on Linux code. I read what others say. If they say Linux code is good, then I post that claim instead. But not many guru programmers thinks so. Five broken sound APIs is scary. Linux should be cleaned up.

If people says Vista is a piece of shit, I dont try it. I dont have time to try Vista out. I listen to what others, gurus say. If they say Windows 7 is good, I am willing to try that. If they say Linux is bloated, I have no reason to believe they are lying, specially when Linus T says so.

Blackstar,
                    You are right. Sorry for this. I will try to post no more off topic, again. But other people keep adressing me.

Hey you guys, if you want to discuss off topic with me, please PM me or start a new thread. I will enter that thread.

Back to on topic. I have installed latest Ubuntu in VirtualBox to try Linux out. So far I must say that Ubuntu and OpenSolaris are awfully similar. The only difference is that OpenSolaris is blue and Ubuntu is brown. Other than that, they look exactly identical. It seems that the step from OpenSolaris to Ubuntu is very small, all knowledge from OpenSolaris I can apply to Ubuntu at once. I know that OpenSolaris has copied the desktop feeling from Ubuntu.

Are there any easy instructions how to apply this BFS patch so I can try Con Kolivas patch out? He seems to have fresh ideas, I would like to try out.
                    Last edited by kebabbert; 26 September 2009, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Turning idiots filter on. I wonder who would like to talk with a moron even in another thread...

Back to on topic. I have installed latest Ubuntu in VirtualBox to try Linux out. So far I must say that Ubuntu and OpenSolaris are awfully similar. The only difference is that OpenSolaris is blue and Ubuntu is brown. Other than that, they look exactly identical. It seems that the step from OpenSolaris to Ubuntu is very small, all knowledge from OpenSolaris I can apply to Ubuntu at once. I know that OpenSolaris has copied the desktop feeling from Ubuntu.

Are there any easy instructions how to apply this BFS patch so I can try Con Kolivas patch out? He seems to have fresh ideas, I would like to try out.
                      You proved what I said:

He sometimes just wash his trolls face and masks it behind some idiotic questions
                      It's sad there's no option to make some idiots shut up.
                      Last edited by kraftman; 26 September 2009, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X