Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackStar
    replied
    @kebabbert: can you PLEASE open a new thread to discuss whatever you want to discuss? This is the BFS scheduler thread so let's not derail it any further.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    It could be because your tone in your posting... Backing up, calming down, and doing what you just did would and will help.
    Maybe you havent read that people call me a "troll", "idiot", "dumb", etc, for posting links? I am not making things up. I have collected links that I present here. For pasting links, I am being called idiot. I wonder why? I am not FUDing nor Lying. I show links.

The claim that the kernel itself is 11Mloc and comparing it to NT's 10Mloc is comparing apples to grapefruits. NT's codebase is almost purely KERNEL code. Linux' codebase is nearly half drivers. Taking an aggressive position on bloat and using that comparison can look like FUD or Trolling and it's been a game of the people who DO that thing in the MS camp.
    This is interesting. Can you back up your claims? If it is true that half of Linux 11 MloC is drivers, then it is not as bad as I thought. And NTs codebase of 10MloC is almost purely Kernel code? Can you back that up?

Do we need to trim some things out? Heck, YES! Is Linux "bloated"? Maybe, but it's not the size you think it is. So if it's needing trimming, just precisely what needs the work? Do you get to decide? Do I? Perhaps- but if that's the case, you'd better step up and convince the LKML crowd of what you propose. Otherwise, you'll not get very far and will be just labeled as a 'troller'.
    Come on, 11 M LoC of kernel code is TOO much. That is a fact. I think Linus T can trim the Kernel down. Which it needs badly.

I have heard that there are 5 broken APIs for sound in the Linux kernel. Is that true? If that is true, no wonder the kernel is 11 M LoC...

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    I never get an good answer on my questions.
    It could be because your tone in your posting... Backing up, calming down, and doing what you just did would and will help.

Question: I am actually only collecting links from Linux kernel devs and present them here. I paste links from Linux kernel devs here. And also links from articles on the internet. Am I lying or Trolling or FUDing then? Yes or no? Can I get an answer, yes or no? Is it Trolling or FUDing to paste links? Yes or no?
    Depends on what you're precisely doing.

The claim that the kernel itself is 11Mloc and comparing it to NT's 10Mloc is comparing apples to grapefruits. NT's codebase is almost purely KERNEL code. Linux' codebase is nearly half drivers. Taking an aggressive position on bloat and using that comparison can look like FUD or Trolling and it's been a game of the people who DO that thing in the MS camp.

Do we need to trim some things out? Heck, YES! Is Linux "bloated"? Maybe, but it's not the size you think it is. So if it's needing trimming, just precisely what needs the work? Do you get to decide? Do I? Perhaps- but if that's the case, you'd better step up and convince the LKML crowd of what you propose. Otherwise, you'll not get very far and will be just labeled as a 'troller'.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    11 millions line of code for one simple KERNEL. That is huge. It is funny you dont agree with Linus T nor with me. Entire Windows NT was 10 millions LoC. Solaris is much smaller than bloated Linux. Every OS is much smaller than Linux. Maybe except Vista.
    That's with drivers and kernel core code. The bulk of the code in Vista's and NT's case is almost all kernel code with almost NO drivers (they don't ship with anywhere near the level of support for devices we do...).

I will make this observation: The "slower" isn't always the case with new OS versions; having said this, many of the slowdowns are perceptual things as much as anything else- BFS reveals some weak spots in the scheduler we have now (which is where the slowdowns really started showing up as best as I can tell- when CFS showed up as the default...).

Couple this with some "off" drivers Intel inflicted on mainline a while back... heh...

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Always glad to help

It's funny how Kebbaberts trolling works:

first post is usually neutral, then attack begins and then he repeats same things all time.
    I never get an good answer on my questions. I can try again:

Question: I am actually only collecting links from Linux kernel devs and present them here. I paste links from Linux kernel devs here. And also links from articles on the internet. Am I lying or Trolling or FUDing then? Yes or no? Can I get an answer, yes or no? Is it Trolling or FUDing to paste links? Yes or no?

Yes or no? Can I get an answer?

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    kraftman,
    Have you ever kissed a girl?
    lol you bad.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Yup, obvious troll is obvious. "Ignore dumbasses option" - thanks for the reminder!
    Always glad to help

It's funny how Kebbaberts trolling works:

first post is usually neutral, then attack begins and then he repeats same things all time.
    Last edited by kraftman; 25 September 2009, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I pointed this quite long ago, but thank you very much for this Thankfully we've got ignore dumbasses option He ever subscribed to look more seriously XD
    Yup, obvious troll is obvious. "Ignore dumbasses option" - thanks for the reminder!

kebabbert, even if you had an argument (you don't) your trollish manners won't make anyone take you seriously.

Leave a comment:

• kebabbert
    replied
    kraftman,
    Have you ever kissed a girl?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zetbo View Post
    Great! Kebabbert troll is here. You can read his trolling on OSNews in every article that involves Linux.http://www.osnews.com/story/22207/Li...rocess_Working So please do not feed the troll. He has his head stuck so badly in Jonathan Schwartzs ass so he can't stop.
    I pointed this quite long ago, but thank you very much for this Thankfully we've got ignore dumbasses option He ever subscribed to look more seriously XD

@Ant P.

When comes to desktops ZFS is probably bloated. Btw. there's a chance we'll have it:

http://lwn.net/Articles/342892/ also nice Btrfs vs ZFS comparison. It seems Btrfs will make ZFS to become legacy.
    P.S. Sorry for off topic.

@Vesa

I did some testing, but results are probably meaningless. In example apache benchmark should be done in different way like RealNC pointed before.
    Last edited by kraftman; 25 September 2009, 12:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X