Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSA 1.0.21 Released With Many Driver Updates

Phoronix: ALSA 1.0.21 Released With Many Driver Updates

With it being a few months since the release of ALSA 1.0.20, it's now time for the ALSA 1.0.21 update. The ALSA driver package update (finally) brings the Creative X-Fi Linux driver officially along with a horde of updates to the other drivers and more. The Creative X-Fi driver for the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture has improved a fair amount over the past few months and is certainly better than Creative's binary driver mess before they gave into open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Oxygen driver supports the Xonar Essence ST. How about the STX, which is the PCI-E version of the Essence ST ?
    I guess it's probably the same, but some PCI IDs can prevent the driver from working with the STX while working with the ST (although that the ST is slightly different from STX, but not on the processor side).

If anyone knows...

EDIT : sorry, found the Essence STX listed in the alsa "supported cards" matrix. This means that the STX is supported.
    Last edited by Fixxer_Linux; 31 August 2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
      The Oxygen driver supports the Xonar Essence ST. How about the STX, which is the PCI-E version of the Essence ST ?
      I guess it's probably the same, but some PCI IDs can prevent the driver from working with the STX while working with the ST (although that the ST is slightly different from STX, but not on the processor side).

If anyone knows...

EDIT : sorry, found the Essence STX listed in the alsa "supported cards" matrix. This means that the STX is supported.
      The STX has been supported since 1.0.20 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post

If anyone knows...

The PCI-X interface is different since you have to handle latencies differently. So it's not the same driver.

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
          The PCI-X interface is different since you have to handle latencies differently. So it's not the same driver.
          It's a PCIe card not PCI-X. I haven't seen a PCI-X soundcard in many years.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            It's a PCIe card not PCI-X. I haven't seen a PCI-X soundcard in many years.
            Sure
            need to pay attention that what i write is actually what i mean

Comment

From the software side, PCI-E devices look just like PCI devices, and in neither case do drivers need to handle latencies.

In the case of the STX/ST, it is the same driver, and apart from the daughterboard handling, it was just the addition of one PCI ID.

Comment

Will this be in Karmic ??

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                  Will this be in Karmic ??
                  Probably yes since we have about two months till Karmic Koala is released.

Comment

Actually, probably not, since Feature Freeze is in place: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze

(It's funny how I'm answering this with the same username :P)

Comment

Working...
                    X