No announcement yet.

Running Qt/KDE Atop An OpenGL Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point is, some peole act like subpixel hinting is most important and not having it makes opengl worthless. Read postings 7 and 8.
    While in fact a lot of people don't even have it on, because it degrades readability (for them).

Comment

OpenGL would be worthless to me if I can't have subpixel hinting. Obviously there's a group of people like me who can't accept a system without it. Period. If I had to choose right now between the two, I'd choose subpixel rendering any time.

Comment

so what? just because you and some other see it as must have feature does not make it true for everybody. So acting like you/they are talking for everybody is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          so what?
          So what "what?" It's an important feature to many people.

What kind of answer do you expect when asking "so what?" I'm not gonna bomb the Trolltech office. Or blackmail Nokia. If that's what you're asking.

Comment

yes, it is important to some people. And not important at all to others. So acting like it is the most important feature rendering qt useless without is... a bit wrong. Don't you think.

Comment

Why wrong? It's my thinking exactly.

Note: *my* thinking. Obviously you have a problem separating other people's personal opinions from your own.

Comment

no, I am fine. I acknowledge that different people have different needs. It is you guys acting like your view is the only valid one. Reality check is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  no, I am fine. I acknowledge that different people have different needs. It is you guys acting like your view is the only valid one. Reality check is needed.
                  Where did you get that from? Noone said you have to use subpixel AA if you don't like it.

However, this doesn't change the fact that subpixel AA is one of the most important features of any modern font engine meant for monitors. Windows, Mac OS X and most Linux distros ship with subpixel AA enabled, precisely because it improves text quality on the vast majority of monitors.

So no, don't use subpixel AA if you don't like it. This doesn't excuse Qt being released with broken text rendering (and I'm not referring to the current situation with the OpenGL renderer).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Where did you get that from? Noone said you have to use subpixel AA if you don't like it.

However, this doesn't change the fact that subpixel AA is one of the most important features of any modern font engine meant for monitors. Windows, Mac OS X and most Linux distros ship with subpixel AA enabled, precisely because it improves text quality on the vast majority of monitors.

So no, don't use subpixel AA if you don't like it. This doesn't excuse Qt being released with broken text rendering (and I'm not referring to the current situation with the OpenGL renderer).
                    But that's not how things are at the moment, and they only seem bound to get worse. Nowadays, if you don't want to use "subpixel rendering" you have to hack the hell out of obscure configuration files. Try to disable it in Windows Vista, and you'll see that if you really want to take rid of it you have to log in as administrator and change some registry keys (and even then the monster doesn't completely go away). In linux, I remember having to look up the beautiful syntax of fontconfig and change it accordingly. Yet, some applications have their own (stupid) ideas about how to display the fonts and you have to take care of them on an individual basis. To make things worse, once you've dug enough to set everything as you like, you discover that after an update some application decides to ignore the previous settings and we're back to square one. Mac OS I don't know about.

So yes, "subpixel rendering" is important, but only because a lot of people (the majority, perhaps?) care about it. It does not, however, improve the quality of anything. And life is surely easier if you like it than if you don't.

Comment

I just turn it off in kde's system-settings

Comment

Working...
                      X