Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Seeing Improved Support For The Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS ARM Laptop After Five Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Seeing Improved Support For The Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS ARM Laptop After Five Years

Phoronix: Linux Seeing Improved Support For The Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS ARM Laptop After Five Years

When it comes to (non-Apple) ARM laptops all the excitement these days is around the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite SoC. But for those that happen to have a 5+ year old Lenovo Yoga C630 WOS laptop or come across one in a bargain bin, the Linux kernel is seeing improved support for this older ARM laptop powered by an aging Snadragon 850 SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why mandatory display at laptops? And todays need for bio is also weird but Google disagrees with their cryptowashing. Harassment not All-in yet. For a lot of todays PCs additional hw package to fulfill obligations of todays corporations or government issues amid maybe common daily tasks seems as weird in Google Play not enabled apps and Windows to buy for Arm is also not so common in Europe/US. And Lenovo as trademark is not cheap Chinese but maybe the opposite. Scholars use something from Google and Microsoft is losing space, so more questions in mind before someone take their job duty more fullfilling.

Comment

What is it about ARM chips that makes Linux support daunting? Why can I install any generic Linux distro on almost any Intel/AMD x86-64, but not on my Android phone with a Snapdragon or Mediatek chip? Will this situation improve if RISC-V were to replace ARM in ten years or so?

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
        Why mandatory display at laptops? And todays need for bio is also weird but Google disagrees with their cryptowashing. Harassment not All-in yet. For a lot of todays PCs additional hw package to fulfill obligations of todays corporations or government issues amid maybe common daily tasks seems as weird in Google Play not enabled apps and Windows to buy for Arm is also not so common in Europe/US. And Lenovo as trademark is not cheap Chinese but maybe the opposite. Scholars use something from Google and Microsoft is losing space, so more questions in mind before someone take their job duty more fullfilling.
        Your LLM needs work .

Comment

Originally posted by botipua22 View Post
          What is it about ARM chips that makes Linux support daunting? Why can I install any generic Linux distro on almost any Intel/AMD x86-64, but not on my Android phone with a Snapdragon or Mediatek chip? Will this situation improve if RISC-V were to replace ARM in ten years or so?
          There's UEFI + ACPI for amd64, and usually a device tree on ARM. But at a high level the biggest problem is that most vendors don't have an upstream first policy and ARM devices tend to have a lot of hardware that isn't natively supported by the Linux kernel. ARM can use UEFI + ACPI, and I think Windows ARM devices actually work this way. ACPI isn't a panacea and many vendors fuck that up too. Eventually ARM devices will probably standardise to something. RISC-V is in a similar state. For both RISC-V and ARM, it's the server market that seems to be pushing harder for UEFI + ACPI standardization.
          Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 08 July 2024, 04:13 PM.

Comment

will it take this long for snapdragon x elite qualcomm processors to be supported on GNU/Linux Mint? part of my writing process is to close myself in a room without power, light, food, bathrooms, and within a faraday cage so that im completely separated from any distractions. i do this for 20 hours at time with the only way out being an automatic unlock from the outside and a fallback to a family member in case that breaks (thanks promethius/kibana). its really important to me that my computer does not run out of power before that 20 hours is done and GNU/Linux Mint is the only OS that is really usable for my workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
              Beautiful cabin crew (Rose)

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

There's UEFI + ACPI for amd64, and usually a device free on ARM. But at a high level the biggest problem is that most vendors don't have an upstream first policy and ARM devices tend to have a lot of hardware that isn't natively supported by the Linux kernel. ARM can use UEFI + ACPI, and I think Windows ARM devices actually work this way. ACPI isn't a panacea and many vendors fuck that up too. Eventually ARM devices will probably standardise to something. RISC-V is in a similar state. For both RISC-V and ARM, it's the server market that seems to be pushing harder for UEFI + ACPI standardization.
                We are already beyond that by having the device tree supplied by the firmware. This is what Qualcomm is now doing too with the X Elite platforms. No ACPI for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
                  part of my writing process is to close myself in a room without power, light, food, bathrooms, and within a faraday cage so that im completely separated from any distractions. i do this for 20 hours at time with the only way out being an automatic unlock from the outside and a fallback to a family member in case that breaks
                  LOL. Comments like this really do make the Phoronix forums worthwhile!

I was almost with you, until the "no bathrooms" part! No clue why you'd need a faraday cage, either. Just leave your phone outside and disable the wifi on your router, before you lock yourself in.
                  Last edited by coder; 07 July 2024, 06:11 PM.

Comment

TBH used chromebooks would be great with Fedora. This is just one small step forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X