Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.11 To Offer More Fine-Tuned Control Over Swappiness

Phoronix: Linux 6.11 To Offer More Fine-Tuned Control Over Swappiness

As part of the memory management changes expected to be merged for the upcoming Linux 6.11 cycle is allowing more fine-tuned control over the swappiness setting used to determine how aggressively pages are swapped out of physical system memory and into the on-disk swap space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CGroupV2 network priority next pwease 🥺

Comment

There is something wrong with swappiness with Linux 6.9 on Arch. I have 64 GB of RAM in my PC and I was doing some simple tasks with light gaming where the RAM usage never exceeded 10 GB and already over 200 MB of swap was used in system monitor, whereas I would expect this to be zero in nearly all cases for my PC. I never changed any parameters and so far it has happened once.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
        There is something wrong with swappiness with Linux 6.9 on Arch. I have 64 GB of RAM in my PC and I was doing some simple tasks with light gaming where the RAM usage never exceeded 10 GB and already over 200 MB of swap was used in system monitor, whereas I would expect this to be zero in nearly all cases for my PC. I never changed any parameters and so far it has happened once.
        Did you have steam updating games and stuff in your background? If your system has a bunch of filesysrem stuff happen, like steam updates, Linux tends to build up the file cache. Once the cache is really high, Linux will often swap a little bit instead of releasing cache, depending on your swap settings.
        Last edited by Mitch; 07 July 2024, 10:59 AM.

Comment

It's perfectly normal for Linux to use some amount of swap even when there's plenty of RAM: https://www.baeldung.com/linux/swap-space-use

Comment

This article is about new control over swap behaviour, but there is already quite some control. You should consult the arch wiki, for example to reduce swappiness if you want. I don't know whether your monitoring of your system can really be considered a controlled test, but I suppose there may be some differences from one version to the next.

Comment

this is default behavior, set swappiness to like 5 if you only want to use it in emergencies.

Comment

Working...
              X