Linus Torvalds Unconvinced By getrandom() In The vDSO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Unconvinced By getrandom() In The vDSO

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Unconvinced By getrandom() In The vDSO & Plans To Reject It For Linux 6.11

While there were plans of adding getrandom() in the vDSO with the upcoming Linux 6.11 merge window to speed up user-space random number generation access, Linus Torvalds is unconvinced by the work and intends to reject any pull request with it for Linux 6.11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nothing like a Torvalds rant to start the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      I wonder if he stopped going to therapy.
      I hope he did!

Comment

Honestly I don't see the point of it. It introduces a bunch of extra complexity in both the kernel and libc, and for what? If userspace wants faster randomness it can just use kernel entropy to seed a per-thread RNG like everybody has been doing for ages.

I respect Linus for standing up for this.
        Last edited by zcansi; 05 July 2024, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Too bad he didn't stand up for bullshit that Intel and AMD is putting in the kernel too!
          All that spyware, proprietary bits, DRM, etc...

Comment

I like a good Linus rant as well, and standing up against BS in the kernel is an important part of his job.

Read the full thread, it is interesting. As a result of this discussion, actual users chimed in, something that Linus wanted to see. And he reread the PR and made suggestions on what need to change at minimum to get it in.

So this may actually make it to the kernel in a modified form.

Comment

I don't have so much knowledge about that topic.
              But I believe that you could just get a seed once in a while and do your own random generator in user space.
              Linus likely did a good job here.

Comment

I think he was quite calm and didn't really use bad words and humiliated the guy who has sent in the patch. He's getting older or the therapy worked. Also, he explains why he's refusing to accept the patch, instead of just saying it's crap and the developer is a bloody idiot.

Comment

It's because his ther@pist committed suicide after a few Linus rants. The 3rd ther@pist in the last 2 years alone

Comment

Somewhat related, openvpn is getting into the kernel (similar to wireguard): https://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=171949366008190&w=2

Comment

Working...
                    X