Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel Patches Posted For The Radxa ROCK 5 ITX Board

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Patches Posted For The Radxa ROCK 5 ITX Board

Patches have been posted for enabling the ROCK 5 ITX board for working with the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting board, though I really wish someone was doing something like this with an ARM design released in the last year (or 2) rather than 6 years ago. Will see what happens with those Qualcomm designed chips soon.

Comment

I wonder why these boards never have PCIe slots. Seems like that would have been a pretty good selling point for a full size ITX board.

Comment

I am guessing "dual 2.6GbE Ethernet" is a typo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
          Interesting board, though I really wish someone was doing something like this with an ARM design released in the last year (or 2) rather than 6 years ago. Will see what happens with those Qualcomm designed chips soon.
          Me too wishing the same thing. Cortex A76 is just too old for 2024, for 2023 even.

Comment

Originally posted by AkulaMD View Post
            Me too wishing the same thing. Cortex A76 is just too old for 2024, for 2023 even.
            It's Sandybridge-level performance. I still have a Sandybridge machine in service. It would be more than enough for something like a router or streaming box, but okay even for web browsing (with ad blocker).

That said, I've been hoping we'd see some SBCs based on the MediaTek Genio 1200:

MediaTek has introduced the Genio platform for AIoT devices, and unveiled the first chip of the Genio family with the Genio 1200 Octa-core Cortex-A78/A55

Here's one, but it doesn't yet seem to be shipping:

Where High-Performance Meets AI Efficiency

Last edited by coder; 04 July 2024, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
              I am guessing "dual 2.6GbE Ethernet" is a typo.
              Perhaps it is a cutting edge unannounced NEW feature ... like those rock amplifiers that Spinal Tap used which went to "11"

After all, 2.6 is better than 2.5, right?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                After all, 2.6 is better than 2.5, right?
                Even if you "overclocked" your Ethernet to run at 2.6 Gbps, you'd have to do the same to whatever device is at the other end of the link. And it would either have to include some higher-speed links to other nodes or you'd have to overclock those other devices' Ethernet, also.

Speaking of weird overclocks, I once had a motherboard that ran its PCI bus (yes, regular PCI) at 40 MHz (instead of the standard 33 MHz). I think the CPU was an AMD 486 DX3 120, or something like that, which explains why. I think the only PCI card I used in it was a cheap video card and it worked fine.

Before long, I moved up to a Pentium Pro 180, which might have run its PCI bus at just 30 MHz. That was more common to see, actually.

I might be imagining this, but I think Pentium 75's ran their PCI bus at just 25 MHz.
                Last edited by coder; 04 July 2024, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Even if you "overclocked" your Ethernet to run at 2.6 Gbps, you'd have to do the same to whatever device is at the other end of the link.
                  ... but it's 0.1 faster than 2.5 ...
                  You really need to watch Spinal Tap

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    You really need to watch Spinal Tap
                    I did. I'm just being a wet blanket.
                    😮‍💨

Comment

Working...
                    X