Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Can Have A "Black Screen Of Death" For Kernel Panics

Phoronix: Linux Can Have A "Black Screen Of Death" For Kernel Panics

With some Linux users not liking the recently showcased new Linux "Blue Screen of Death" for kernel panics, Red Hat engineer Javier Martinez Canillas who has been one of those involved in the new DRM Panic infrastructure showed that it can also be a "black screen of death" if so desired...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly.. What's the point of introducing BSOD?

The biggest reason why I use Linux is due to its verbosity. I like knowing what's going wrong
    Last edited by Kjell; 21 June 2024, 11:09 AM.

Comment

That's what makes Linux so great, choice and the all inclusion, no discrimination mentality.

You don't like blue screens of death? You don't like red screens of death?

How do you fancy a black screen instead?

Now all we need is a green screen, a yellow screen and what the hell, let's also get a white screen.

Since all other problems have been solved and we can now worry about the screen color of kernel panics, maybe we can have a rainbow colored screen that only shows up if the kernel panic happens in June.

Comment

I guess VFX artists would really appreciate a Green Screen of Death

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          Honestly.. What's the point of introducing BSOD?

The biggest reason why I use Linux is due to its verbosity. I like knowing what's going wrong
          Currently when the kernel panics, I think the image on monitor just stuck hanging there.

So for people who are less interested in seeing what was last shown on the screen but want to know more immediately that the computer is hanging beyond auto-recover (without a reboot), it is already useful.

Now the problem is just that, maybe some people want to keep seeing what was last shown on the screen 🤨

Comment

Now that's just racist towards blue people.

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt View Post
              I guess VFX artists would really appreciate a Green Screen of Death
              Careful! Windows "Insider" releases have GSoDs already.

Comment

I, for one, demand clear screens of death, or failing that, screens of death that look like migraine auras.

Comment

Linux can have a black screen of death. As a treat.

Comment

Black is alright, though I would prefer other vibrant colors that are far from blue. I'm ok with yellow text on red.

Comment

Working...
                    X