Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Throws Down The Hammer: Extensible Scheduler "sched_ext" In Linux 6.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Throws Down The Hammer: Extensible Scheduler "sched_ext" In Linux 6.11

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Throws Down The Hammer: Extensible Scheduler "sched_ext" In Linux 6.11

The extensible scheduler "sched_ext" code has proven quite versatile for opening up better Linux gaming performance, more quickly prototyping new scheduler changes, Ubuntu/Canonical has been evaluating it for pursuing a more micro-kernel like design, and many other interesting approaches with it. Yet it's remained out of tree but that is now changing with the upcoming Linux 6.11 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been gaming with scx_rusty lately with good results. CachyOS makes it damn easy with it being just a package install away.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      You are aware, right, that WhateverZFS is distributed under an incompatible license? So it's not up to Linus or even any one person in the world to make that happen?

Comment

At some point, the committee approach just needs to be chucked and a clear decision made.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

You are aware, right, that WhateverZFS is distributed under an incompatible license? So it's not up to Linus or even any one person in the world to make that happen?
          Oh but it is up to one person: Larry Ellison.

If Larry Ellison today said: "We are changing the license of OpenZFS to MIT" then ZFS could be a first class citizen in Linux just like it is in FreeBSD. Larry Ellison has not shown the inclination to do that however. So most likely it'll never happen and OpenZFS will remain outside the tree forevermore.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

If Larry Ellison today said: "We are changing the license of OpenZFS to MIT" then ZFS could be a first class citizen in Linux just like it is in FreeBSD. Larry Ellison has not shown the inclination to do that however. So most likely it'll never happen and OpenZFS will remain outside the tree forevermore.
            I do wonder if anyone has actually asked Larry this directly. Oracle Linux doesn't even use ZFS. AFAIK even their "unbreakable" kernels don't build support for it. Solaris is almost dead. They aren't really gaining any advantage that I can see by not either changing the licensing or just stating publicly that nobody will ever be sued for including it in-tree. This kind of thing has probably never been on his radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

There is a non-zero number of copyright owners on the OpenZFS code besides Larry Ellison (to the best of my knowledge, OpenZFS does not use a CLA, and community contributions use the DCO, thus the inbound=outbound model), so no, Larry Ellison cannot "change the license of OpenZFS to MIT".
              Last edited by intelfx; 11 June 2024, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I do wonder if anyone has actually asked Larry this directly. Oracle Linux doesn't even use ZFS.
                No idea if it's ever reached Larry himself or not, but plenty of people have reached out to the relevant people at Oracle and they've never responded.

They aren't really gaining any advantage that I can see by not either changing the licensing or just stating publicly that nobody will ever be sued for including it in-tree.
                Based off the history surrounding OpenOffice, I suspect wanting to piss off people in the linux community might be at least one contributing factor.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

There is a non-zero number of copyright owners on the OpenZFS code besides Larry Ellison (to the best of my knowledge, OpenZFS does not use a CLA, and community contributions use the DCO, thus the inbound=outbound model), so no, Larry Ellison cannot "change the license of OpenZFS to MIT".
                  Oracle holds the copyright to ZFS, if they relicense that to MIT which would take care of the overwhelming majority of the code then the people who are developing OpenZFS (especially given the significant FreeBSD and Linux investment) would very very likely be willing to relicense their code as MIT. However even so ZFS if not OpenZFS could be merged into the Linux kernel at that point.

Comment

This sounds great. I want to play around with LAVD but won't have time to build anything for it soon. This will help.

Comment

Working...
                    X