Btrfs Sends In Fixes For Linux 6.10 & Restores "norecovery" Mount Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Because your comments are contradictory and blatantly false.
    can you expand and explain? Because they are exactly my own actual experience.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

can you expand and explain? Because they are exactly my own actual experience.
      Your experience is irrelevant. You say btrfs was bad in past but its never given you a issue... ok

You must understand that we don't all use your experience to measure if BTRFS recovery is good or bad right?
      Search the world of forums a bit and you'll see MANY people have had big issues with btrfs.

Unless it has mount-time non-failing auto-recovery, its useless especially for a boot format!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Your experience is irrelevant. You say btrfs was bad in past but its never given you a issue... ok

You must understand that we don't all use your experience to measure if BTRFS recovery is good or bad right?
        Search the world of forums a bit and you'll see MANY people have had big issues with btrfs.

Unless it has mount-time non-failing auto-recovery, its useless especially for a boot format!
        Is that what you declared to be contradictory? That BTRFS was unstable in it's first release and me not having had any issues are not contradictory, it simply means that I didn't start to use BTRFS until it was marked as stable (why would I). Was that really so hard to understand?

My experience is exactly as valid as yours and it was written in direct response to yours, aka you claimed to have had a partition completely unrecoverable after a system freeze to which I countered that I suffered hundreds of consecutive such freezes due to a faulty PSU and had zero issues, didn't even have to perform recovery.

Now you have shifted goalposts to talk about mount-time autorecovery (which btrfs have if the initramfs is setup to do so, aka this is a configuration issue).

And yes the Internet is full of people having issues, millions claim to have issues with chem trails, vaccinations and also believe in a flat earth. Aka that is not a metric. We don't even know how many of those posts are suffering from HW issues (so completely unrelated to the filesystem in question) or how other fs:s would handle their exact crash (since we don't have access to a time machine).

I never once made such a claim, why with the straw manning? You do understand though that this is a discussion forum right? Where you have, you know, discussions? Sounds like you are upset that you aren't on the "we all agree with you all the time" forum. But that is a you issue, not a me issue.

Comment

1000 people say the volcano never gave them any issues. 100 people said it burnt their houses down. Does that mean the volcano is harmless and overall stable?

I'm sure all other partition formats have given people issues also but the recovery success is terrible on btrfs due to lack of decent recovery tools and boottime recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by NekkoDroid View Post

The problem with this is the kernels "we don't break userspace" promise. And reading millions of lines of logs to check for a deprecation warning is just not realistic.

And the thing they changed apparently is effectivly just renaming the option under a different name, while the other filesystems use the old name for the same feature.
            Yes, Lennart definitely remembers this talk this Linus about breaking userspace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-SGblUhi4

Comment

Working...
            X