Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

So true.

When clickbait threads like this turn a reasonably sane Linux news outlet in Moronix Extraordinaire ... you would think that Michael would just learn to say NO instead of prostrating himself on the almighty $ ... and those new nag screens about using adblockers. At some point this website will be a forgotten memory for me.
    maybe you shouldn't expect people to do work for you, for free.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      Any particular reason why you segregate murder?
      Statistical reasons?

Comment

See, he's a nice guy.

FREE HANS NOW

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Kill the translator!
          Well I understand the sentiment, translators these days...

But tasteless jokes aside though, I'm afraid i've been out of the loop, do we know why he killed her? Classic case of cheating or something? Or was he just a serial killer at heart? What's going on?

Comment

Any coincidence the 15 years of his 15 years to life sentence milestone has now been recently passed and looking for parole ?

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post

Statistical reasons?
              What would be the feminine version of women killing all the babies (I talk after birth) and all the olderly people? There are some reasons for that but you don't care for reasons for your term either so fair game? Femin-Filicide?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                Any coincidence the 15 years of his 15 years to life sentence milestone has now been recently passed and looking for parole ?
                There is no evidence that is the case, he wrote other positive messages a year ago or so, probably even before so this is just you believing that people that do anything wrong in their live are fundamentally evil and never change and now you search backwards for something that fit's your conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

There is no evidence that is the case, he wrote other positive messages a year ago or so, probably even before so this is just you believing that people that do anything wrong in their live are fundamentally evil and never change and now you search backwards for something that fit's your conclusion.
                  "There is no evidence that is the case" I believe that was Reiser's defence until convicted of 1st degree murder then plea dealed to 2nd degree murder if he revealed where the body was. I think most people here would agree 1st degree murder is an evil act committed with evil intent, thus actus reus and mens rea.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

"There is no evidence that is the case" I believe that was Reiser's defense until convicted of 1st degree murder then plea dealed to 2nd degree murder if he revealed where the body was.
                    What has it to do what he did 100 years ago? Are you the identical person than what you were 15 years ago and even if you were did your live change so drastically and therefor was so much pressure to change drastically from the outside?

But let's say you are right, even the evidence for that is at best extremely reaching, I couldn't care less if he is "good" or not good, in his core, what I care is the likelihood if he would do something similar after release if the chances are higher than a average person that did no crime before I think he should stay locked up if not he should be released, heck even it were higher you would need to not punish him anymore but do some sort of locked up system with better live conditions. Because 15 years is a long sentence, especially in this US Torture prisons that don't fullfill human rights standards. sending dogs against the prisoners and other stuff. Or let the inmates fight in often to full prisons and stuff like that.

So I am no psychologe but even his age and his crime seem to me a one off thing, and even if there was a small chance he would have done it back then, his later age alone statistically reduces the chances of doing violent crimes.

Of murderers only 1% got rearrested for new crimes (not for another murder any crime like theft) and 10% for violating parole. So the net benefit for society would be bigger and him than the small risk of him doing something very awful. It would be interesting but I would not be surprised if the general risk to become a murderer is higher than the risk of a person released for murdering doing it again.

I mean you have nearly 1% of the US population currently behind bars so you have probably 10-20% of people doing a crime and get catched in their live so this 1% number of ex murderers doing crime again is lower than the average person, sure they have less life years left, but still it's a lot lower.

So from a utilitarian and btw also from a categorical imperative ethic view both would agree that he should be let go now. Probably from a utilitarian view even many years ago.

At least Kant would vehemently oppose to torture prisoners in this unacceptable conditions of the US Prison system, he would say that doing something morally bad to them is not justified by them doing something morally bad before, he doesn't support torture even for extremer cases where there could be some benefit.

So you have some "eye for an eye" people some old testament wankers... that would support harder sentences not to protect somebody or get what is best for society but to get their revenge feelings full-filled.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

What has it to do what he did 100 years ago? .
                      Snip

References to figures quoted please.

Comment

Working...
                      X