Bcachefs Brings Safety Improvements To Linux 6.10, Preps For Online Fsck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Brings Safety Improvements To Linux 6.10, Preps For Online Fsck

Phoronix: Bcachefs Brings Safety Improvements To Linux 6.10, Preps For Online Fsck

Bcachefs lead developer Kent Overstreet today sent out his feature pull request of all the new file-system code that is ready in time for the Linux 6.10 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Contrary to what some believed, Bcachefs is improving a lot after merge. How's erasure coding these days?

Michael: Any benchmarks?

Comment

Same as before, not recommended.

I'm also wishing for benchmarks. There are some performance fixes for certain operations, like DIO

Comment

I've been using BCacheFS since it hit stable in 6.7. Just for Steam stuff, nothing I would be upset at losing.

It has greatly improved since then and the fsck is rock solid. If you use BCacheFS tools 1.7.0 (the latest tag), you can just mount one drive by UUID and it'll use that drive to figure out what others to mount.

I think the overall robustness is solid since 6.9 so far.

The tiering and LZ4 compression is just 🤌
        I've put so much crap on the data store and it does really smart tiering. It's as if I have 30 TB of NVME flash storage when the reality is much less than that.

Comment

Im testing things out on bcachefs since I read that CachyOS post here, so far so good.
          I got some really weird low benchmarks results but loading time on apps and even games are awesome.

240519_17h33m18s_screenshot.webp
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
            the fsck is rock solid
            As far as we know. Scrubbing or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
              I've been using BCacheFS since it hit stable in 6.7. Just for Steam stuff, nothing I would be upset at losing.

It has greatly improved since then and the fsck is rock solid. If you use BCacheFS tools 1.7.0 (the latest tag), you can just mount one drive by UUID and it'll use that drive to figure out what others to mount.

I think the overall robustness is solid since 6.9 so far.

The tiering and LZ4 compression is just 🤌
              I've put so much crap on the data store and it does really smart tiering. It's as if I have 30 TB of NVME flash storage when the reality is much less than that.
              Has mounting encrypted pools gotten better since the 6.7 introduction?

Comment

Maybe a slight tangent, but I'd love to do a "minimal" Fedora install (not sure if the minimal option does the same as server with file system - "Fedora Custom Operating System" likely a better choice) that uses Bcachfs as the file system like now uses Btrfs (except for server installations and maybe minmal, which uses I believe LVM + XFS) and have systemd-boot as the boot manager. I figured out in Fedora 40 how to get systemd-boot installed instead of Grub (using the "init.sdboot" kernel boot parameter or whatever it is called), but then I have to use LVM + XFS as systemd-boot does not work with the Fedora Btrfs as set up.

Anyway, would like to be able to do the above, imagine at some point should be doable. I have been settling on Fedora lately as work a RHEL shop and most of the things not in the standard repos that I like I can find in the Copr repos.

** I'll add, just read the pull request and lots of names listed as contributed, even if Ken the by far most prolific... Kent & Co. - go, go, go!
                Last edited by ehansin; 20 May 2024, 09:17 PM. Reason: Kent, not Ken!

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Has mounting encrypted pools gotten better since the 6.7 introduction?
                  I don't know. I haven't gotten into encryption yet and might not do that for a while. I imagine the latest tools have fixed some issues there if there were any.

Comment

Michael working hard on a high reply count with that screenshot .

Comment

Working...
                    X