• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nadir View Post
    This was an interesting talk: https://youtube.com/watch?v=E3Wj35xHA3I

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

btrfs, which everyone loves to bash the most out of all Linux filesystems, ironically is the only one which didn't suffer from serious bugs that cause corruption over the last year.
      I assume you mean "new" serious bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

obvious bait is obvious
        Yet it appears so obviously true

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

obvious bait is obvious
          Just to add something here: Facebook has an insane number of machines in their fleets. Those machines have BTRFS as a standard filesystem and have done so for many years. I think it's the boot drive. They routinely make use of its compression, send, and receive from what I remember. Probably other features, too.

Fedora also ships it by default. I think the BTRFS-isn't-stable arguments should have died ages ago. BTRFS is one of many super-reliable filesystems and has been for years regardless of how rough it may have been at its beginning, many, many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

Just to add something here: Facebook has an insane number of machines in their fleets. Those machines have BTRFS as a standard filesystem and have done so for many years. I think it's the boot drive. They routinely make use of its compression, send, and receive from what I remember. Probably other features, too.

Fedora also ships it by default. I think the BTRFS-isn't-stable arguments should have died ages ago. BTRFS is one of many super-reliable filesystems and has been for years regardless of how rough it may have been at its beginning, many, many years ago.
            Another Btrfs propagandist from Meta...

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post
              "Worst case scenario you're not going to lose data, as long as you can be patient [...]"
              Worst case is complete data loss
              So you must be unfamiliar with this but there's something called context. When referring to the filesystem doing something, the worst case is a filesystem issue meaning you'll have to wait about a week or two after logging the issue to access your data again. If the HDD or SSD fails and you lose your data, that's not a filesystem issue, that's a hardware issue.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Another Btrfs propagandist from Meta...
                EDIT: I'm oblivious. I thought this was serious, haha

I look forward to your evidence for this claim.
                Call it theory A:
                How long have I worked for meta?

Here is theory B:
                perhaps I watched this YouTube talk, which has all the information I've provided regarding Facebook, and perhaps I actually have never worked with/for Facebook/Meta.

Biggest company I've ever worked with has 7,500 employees and they do construction:
                Last edited by Mitch; 11 April 2024, 05:04 PM. Reason: I am a fool to sarcasm

Comment

Personally, I don't think BTRFS is stable due to my series of issues I've had with it, I guess it's almost 2 years ago now. And sadly this is an issue many people have experienced too. I still find btrfs just too much of a hassle anyways, since even when I wasn't running into data loss, I've hit annoyances where I will run out of space and deleting files doesn't recover space. Thankfully this isnt an issue with bcachefs.

Comment

I look forward to your evidence for this claim.
                    Call it theory A:
                    How long have I worked for meta?

Here is theory B:
                    perhaps I watched this YouTube talk, which has all the information I've provided regarding Facebook, and perhaps I actually have never worked with/for Facebook/Meta.

Biggest company I've ever worked with has 7,500 employees and they do construction:
                    I was joking, sorry for not being so obvious

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
                      It seems that filesystems, which names start with 'b', like btrfs and Bcachefs, are permanently in the beta state.
                      Obviously, since ZFS is in zetta state

Comment

Working...
                      X