Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutter Toolkit 1.0.0 Is Released

Phoronix: Clutter Toolkit 1.0.0 Is Released

We knew it was coming, but this morning Intel has announced the release of Clutter 1.0.0. This toolkit provides a library/API for creating rich user interfaces in a relatively easy to use way that conceals much of the challenges of programming your application to directly use OpenGL or OpenGL ES...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

C?

Wow, I opened their page to read the docs, and I was shocked! They are using C for user interface development?

I really dislike that. As a UI developer, I think that an object oriented framework would bring a much better level of abstraction needed when you are worried with the interaction with the user, and don't want to write tons of code for simple things..

Compared to the works of the Trolltech people with DeclarativeUI (qml), this is very "not nice".

qml example: http://ow.ly/15J2gb

Comment

C is where it's at, clutter is meant for GTK/GNOME, Intel and Rad Hat got their back, who wants C++ anyway except KDE ppl?

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        who wants C++ anyway except KDE ppl?
        Are you really serious about that question?

Besides that, I was not talking about C++, if you mind to open the link I sent, in Qml you can make an interface without any programming at all, just declaring components, and you can add behavior to it with simple scripting like you would do on HTML for example..

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
          C is where it's at, clutter is meant for GTK/GNOME, Intel and Rad Hat got their back, who wants C++ anyway except KDE ppl?
          I do. (damn 10 chars min post...)

Comment

C really simplifies bindings for other languages like D, Objective C, etc. Getting alternative languages to link with C++ is complicated.

C++ people could use a C++ wrapper around the C stuff, just like Gtk+ has Gtkmm.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
              C really simplifies bindings for other languages like D, Objective C, etc. Getting alternative languages to link with C++ is complicated.

C++ people could use a C++ wrapper around the C stuff, just like Gtk+ has Gtkmm.
              That's seems to be a good reason. Thanks!

Comment

Clutter is also intended for low resource devices, many of which cannot support C++.

Comment

If you want to combine any C library with a high-level OO garbage-collected language, you should take a look at Vala. It's a very new language that compiles into plain C code, so you can use C libraries with modern (inefficient ) programming practices.

Comment

C is the perfect language for Clutter - as has been said, it's dead easy to bind to pretty much any language (there's already C++ and Javascript bindings, and there's probably one for C# too), as well as being fast and compact, and easily portable to other platforms.

As for QML, well, that probably has something similar to Clutter under the hood, and something like Clutter's Seed bindings (which uses Javascript) is probably more similar. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

Comment

Working...
                    X