New Linux Kernel Patches Begin Plumbing Rust Support Into Bcachefs Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And the reason for this is? They removed a feature you wanted or?
    When it is merged, its removal of support for all platforms but x86_64,32 and Aarch64. It also removes the ability to compile the kernel with the GNU Compiler Toolchain.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

When it is merged, its removal of support for all platforms but x86_64,32 and Aarch64. It also removes the ability to compile the kernel with the GNU Compiler Toolchain.
      If that's a case then it's really a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Err, exactly. So many great reasons why people migrate to FreeBSD. You don't need to list them all. I am already very much a fan of FreeBSD.
        Rather opposite.

Comment

Noisy Rust boy is noisy.

... so it turns out, just like everyone else, they realise that Rust is all noise and no bite.
          Are these the same folks that De Raadt has bashed again and again for being incompetent? Come on, the FreeBSD devs aren't exactly the smartest of the lot.

Keep going. In a decade you might get bored and just stick with C or C++ like the rest of the industry such as Linux, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Meta, Cloudflare, NASA, FreeBSD, Oracle, IBM, Amazon, Samsung, NVidia, Tesla, Tencent, Adobe, AMD, Netflix, SAP, Cisco, Intel and everyone else.
          I wonder what world you live in

your predictions look way off the chart.

Comment

> Two articles from The Register

News from the same site:

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Alpine uses OpenRC
              Exactly. The rest of your justification is a little irrelevant.

Netflix uses - wait for it - Python, not C nor C++, as its primary programming language.
              Don't try to blur the argument cheeky boy. We are talking about NetFlix using FreeBSD here. If you want to discuss the language Netflix use....

You will see many of the Netflix job ads specifically mentions C++. Why would they do that if they were pure Python?

Additionally, why would Apple's streaming media job ad also want C and C++ if they were swift or (*snigger*) Rust?

We all know that Python is a small shim around a bunch of C libraries from PIP. Same as Rust, same as Swift. That is why these jobs require C or C++ to do the actual work. It is foundational in everything you do on a computer and *can't* be replaced at this point. Don't blame me; blame the tech forefathers.

I knew you were clueless about computer science or even simply about mere programming, I didn't know you struggled to read. My point was precisely that systemd does NOT depend on Red Hat.
              It absolutely does. Without Red Hat pushing it, it would no longer be in use. Just read the Debian mailing lists around that era. Specifically why they have left the sysvinit package in (and maintained).

You know, there is a difference between prattle that passes as a "competent" opinion on HN or Slashdot
              Or here.

You can try to undermine the guy but unless you have provably better station at Apple, he will take precedent. That is how informal internet discussions work.

It appears that C is no longer everywhere, Rust is getting to places where C used to have a monopoly.
              More silly Rust fan noise is emitting from your mouth.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 08 February 2024, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

Are these the same folks that De Raadt has bashed again and again for being incompetent?
                De Raadt bashes Rust more.

I think the sensitive Rust fans refer to this as "toxic" because he doesn't agree with them.

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
                I wonder what world you live in

your predictions look way off the chart.
                Don't get ahead of yourself. The only way to see that Rust is not the solution is to test it right? These are experiments that Microsoft will find won't end in success.

My predictions are absolutely on point. But then again, you don't need to be a fortune teller to predict that Microsoft lacks the manpower to rewrite the entire Win32 API in Rust. And without doing that, those C foundations will ensure nothing will truely replace it. Even C# / .NET is winding down now.
                Last edited by kpedersen; 08 February 2024, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Y'know, its been a while now... Wayland still has only one viable standalone compositor (Sway) and still hasn't made *any* strides to wean itself off XWayland, Rust is still niche... my future projections are actually holding pretty strong. We are going to be retired and you will still be in denial about my predictions haha!
                  1. Sway works GREAT. I went for it years ago since Enlightenment wouldn't support Wayland multi-monitor setup out of the box.
                  2. Even within sway's niche there are alternatives. I can't give you links right now, but I remember seeing them.
                  3. GNOME & KDE have made the transition some time ago AFAIK.
                  4. Quite a few major distros are default Wayland now.
                  5. Need for XWayland workaround is ever more reare, since GTK, QT and AFAIK SDL all support it.
                  [/QUOTE]

Comment

Based on the part you quoted:

Can you name another viable standalone Wayland compositor that is in common use? After over a decade of Wayland existing.

The X11 ecosystem already had 100s of Window Managers by this point. This is because it was not a failure.

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                    5. Need for XWayland workaround is ever more reare, since GTK, QT and AFAIK SDL all support it.
                    ‚ÄčThere are nearly 50 widget toolkits for *nix that commercial (and free) software within the industry uses. GTK, QT and SDL barely tap the surface.

Using a web browser or playing some Steam DRM Platform games means that you won't be exposed to the real issues that is blocking Wayland's uptake.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 08 February 2024, 07:46 AM.

Comment

We all know that Python is a small shim around a bunch of C libraries from PIP. Same as Rust, same as Swift. That is why these jobs require C or C++ to do the actual work. It is foundational in everything you do on a computer and *can't* be replaced at this point. Don't blame me; blame the tech forefathers.
                      Do we know that ?
                      1. Python is basically an interpreted "language". Yes, you can "compile" it, but you are never getting anything resembling native speed out of it. So it can be used just as a ducktape at the highest level. Not so with Rust.

2. Although one ***could*** use Rust in such way, it's in no way obvious that one should or have to. Even if one just links Rust code on top of C/C++ libraries, there can be much more than thin top layer of the code. And even then, one has a path to gradually replacing those libraries with Rust versions.
                      Last edited by Brane215; 08 February 2024, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X