X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I had made the observation, but it seems someone modded it out, that I found it odd that the regression should happen in the first place.

The regression does not exist in current versions of the kernel yet for some reason something was changed in this upcoming release that caused the performance regression and for some odd reason the fix is this simple modification.

I'm not convinced this is the root cause, I think this is a band-aid solution that we will be hearing again soon.
    It's because it's a new patch for development tree. How could it happen in the current kernel versions that don't have this patch? It seems moron is not even trying to hide his trolling. Or perhaps, it's indeed mental illness.
    Last edited by Volta; 15 January 2024, 04:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied

Everything about Linux is a nasty hack.

I remember years ago there was a Linux kernel module that had a comment that said "does this belong here?".

That was when I realized how half-assed Linux really is.
    Terrible story. I can only imagine how broken POS is Windows and MacOS. Linux is the cleanest and nearly perfectly designed operating system. Nothing else comes even close. None of the BSD, slowlaris. Not to mention proprietary crap. Your brain is half-assed. How easy is to prove claims like mine? It's enough to check how long did them take to introduce important features like NUMA, ASLR, removing BKL and so on. You can now pray to Linus, because he's your god. Others are just imposters.
    Last edited by Volta; 15 January 2024, 04:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Grouch
    replied

I remember years ago there was a Linux kernel module that had a comment that said "does this belong here?".

The difference between Linux and closed-source code is not that one of them is half-arsed, but one of them is open about it. Do you prefer to have the half-arsed hacks concealed from you?

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Expectation: technical discussion about whether 25% margin is enough or not
    Reality: people fighting about forcing Linus to work during snow storm

I'm proud of this community (no).
    Actually I like the conversation about how to set up a work environment/house that survives a winter storm. Its a lot more entertaining and surprisingly informative.

Leave a comment:

• Doomer
    replied

you could say the same about any sizeable project, writing software is iterative, "bad code" WILL happen, the only thing that really matters is the ability to go back and fix it.
    This implies many things on how a project is managed, how the code is tested and about the guarantee you provide to users.
    I don't know what the perfect solution for linux is but I'm sure there are obvious things that could be changed and provide immediate benefits for the entire ecosystem.

Hello Micheal,

Threadripper 3000 CPUs and TRX40 Mobos don't support CPPC. It has been disabled by all board vendors except AMD's inhouse CRB board and bios. AMD refuses to fix the problem. Please see Yuan's response related to the problem in https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218171 .

It would be great if you advocate this issue.

At least Linus is still using 3970X so they fix cpufreq or else they wouldn't even be bothered.‚Äč
    They don't care, they focus almost exclusively on epyc and cdna support for their cloud clients, the rest is an after-thought or derivated from the work done on these things.
    They will never ever go back and fix something for zen 2 threadripper, especially after how they lied about long-term support of the platform.
    Last edited by Doomer; 15 January 2024, 04:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mozin
    replied
    Hello Micheal,

Threadripper 3000 CPUs and TRX40 Mobos don't support CPPC. It has been disabled by all board vendors except AMD's inhouse CRB board and bios. AMD refuses to fix the problem. Please see Yuan's response related to the problem in https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218171 .

It would be great if you advocate this issue.

At least Linus is still using 3970X so they fix cpufreq or else they wouldn't even be bothered.
    Last edited by mozin; 15 January 2024, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkG View Post
    While speculating about Linus' life choices/situation may be fun, I think at least someone in the comments should give props/respect to Vincent Guittot for finding/fixing root-cause of the regression, and on a Saturday/Sunday no less.
    I had made the observation, but it seems someone modded it out, that I found it odd that the regression should happen in the first place.

The regression does not exist in current versions of the kernel yet for some reason something was changed in this upcoming release that caused the performance regression and for some odd reason the fix is this simple modification.

I'm not convinced this is the root cause, I think this is a band-aid solution that we will be hearing again soon.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
    Is it just me or does this seemingly random addition of 25 % of the current frequency feel like a nasty hack? I'd even bet some money that this is going to blow up again in the future.

Leave a comment:

• MarkG
    replied
    While speculating about Linus' life choices/situation may be fun, I think at least someone in the comments should give props/respect to Vincent Guittot for finding/fixing root-cause of the regression, and on a Saturday/Sunday no less.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied

You do know that the Linux Foundation, which Linus technically owns, pays Linux 1.5 million a year and that Linus has a net worth of about 50 million dollars?

The real question is why he never bothered to get these things.
    Never heard of the Linux Foundation giving him money.
    But yeah it's an interesting question why he didn't bother to get those things himself.
    I mean it's good to have a backup for energy and internet, if you can afford it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X