X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Grouch
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I mean, the same kernel can be built to run anything from a phone to a supercomputer. What other kernel can boast the same track record?
    (Yes, I know, that still doesn't touch on the design itself. But if it's that adaptable, the design can't suck, can it?)
    Possibly a p-system such as the UCSD p-system or BOS; or VxWorks.

All software is adaptable, some easier than others. Just look at Microsoft Windows, which has been adapted very successfully for many years. Opinions differ on how well designed it is. "Linux is the cleanest and nearly perfectly designed operating system." has a touch of hyperbole about it. I remain to be convinced it is a defensible statement.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I mean, the same kernel can be built to run anything from a phone to a supercomputer. What other kernel can boast the same track record?
    (Yes, I know, that still doesn't touch on the design itself. But if it's that adaptable, the design can't suck, can it?)
    You do know that Windows can run on a phone also? It's called a Windows phone and it was great.

BTW, OS X also runs on phones.

Leave a comment:

• pmorph
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Everything about Linux is a nasty hack.

I remember years ago there was a Linux kernel module that had a comment that said "does this belong here?".

That was when I realized how half-assed Linux really is.
    Comments of that kind appear in pretty much any large enough software project, if developers care enough to write them down.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

You are quoting unsubstantiated rumours from the Internet. He does not own the Linux Foundation, he is not even among the executives nor on the board. And from the latest tax report from the foundation he was given $619K as a Fellow so far from $1.5M
    Here is the actual filing from 2022:

Since 2013, the IRS has released data culled from millions of nonprofit tax filings. Use this database to find organizations and see details like their executive compensation, revenue and expenses, as well as download tax filings going back as far as 2001.

Since 2013, the IRS has released data culled from millions of nonprofit tax filings. Use this database to find organizations and see details like their executive compensation, revenue and expenses, as well as download tax filings going back as far as 2001.

Linux holds the title of Chief Financial Officer and get paid $700,331 under "reportable compensation from the corporation" and $1,044,650 under "estimated amount of other compensation".

That's 1.7 million dollars in 2022.

The "rumors" come from the official tax filing that the Linux Foundation files every year.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

Only if mentioned people are lamers who have no clue about operating systems. I already provided you methodology. Try to challenge me if you want. Let's focus on broken by design windows, joke os macos and legacy bsd (slowlaris is already out of the game). I'm waiting. I hope you're aware there must be reference.
    Yes, absolutely, when Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to start Microsoft 40 years ago and was trying to get some start up money, he said to his investors "I want to design an OS that is broken by design" and this has been the guiding motto all these years.

Every once in a while they get a young hotshot programmer fresh out of college that says "I want to fix this" but they always stop him, someone always says "did you bother to read the sign as you came in this morning?", "it says 'broken by design', that is what we stand for".

It's what made Microsoft a company valued at nearly a trillion dollars with revenue of over 280 billion in 2023 and there is no reason to change that.

As for Apple, everyone knows Steve Jobs had a great sense of humor so of course they were going to make a joke of an os, in fact the original working name of OS X was Joke OS.

Solaris was always meant to be slow so Sun could sell you faster SPARC processors every year.

Everyone knows all this and makes perfect sense.

How else could a dullard like yourself have uncovered the conspiracy?

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Linux is the cleanest and nearly perfectly designed operating system. Nothing else comes even close. None of the BSD, slowlaris.
    Hey everybody, Donald Trump has decided to promote Linux.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    The difference between Linux and closed-source code is not that one of them is half-arsed, but one of them is open about it. Do you prefer to have the half-arsed hacks concealed from you?
    This is an interesting point. I;m sure there are probably lots if half-assed hacks in Windows and Windows related products, and the same thing with Apple software, just like we have that big half-assed project known as Gnome.

Here's the difference, the Linux faithful are like the Donald Trump of software, "everything was perfect, everyone said so, my testimony was the most perfect they had ever see, there were zero flaws, it was all great, fantastic".

That's Linux proponents, there's no bugs, even when Linux himself says there's bugs, everything is perfect, it wins every benchmark, except when it doesn't it's because the tester did something wrong, and it just goes on.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by mozin View Post
    Hello Micheal,
    Threadripper 3000 CPUs and TRX40 Mobos don't support CPPC. It has been disabled by all board vendors except AMD's inhouse CRB board and bios. AMD refuses to fix the problem. Please see Yuan's response related to the problem in https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218171 .
    What should AMD fix? The CRB is the reference board used for feature development and provided to OEMs as a reference platform. The CRB supports CPPC functionality. The functionality is there if the OEMs want it.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

I acknowledge your attempt at diversion. As an essay, I'd grade it at about 𝛾-. You've completely failed to support your assertion that "Linux is the cleanest and nearly perfectly designed operating system.". I'm jolly glad you are not one of my students. You probably are too.

Please don't waste people's time by making wild, unevidenced claims. 'Fewer bugs' does not mean 'better designed'.

Leave a comment:

• Old Grouch
    replied
    What can we learn from this? The current quality of Linux is much higher than Andrew's estimates from 2006. Another important thing: Linux drivers (especially GPU) are of the highest quality. Nowhere near Tanenbaum's estimate. How is this even possible when Linux is many times bigger than it was years ago? Rhetorical question. Oh, and Tanenbaum was clueless as usual.
    I acknowledge your attempt at diversion. As an essay, I'd grade it at about 𝛾-. You've completely failed to support your assertion that "Linux is the cleanest and nearly perfectly designed operating system.". I'm jolly glad you are not one of my students. You probably are too.

Please don't waste people's time by making wild, unevidenced claims. 'Fewer bugs' does not mean 'better designed'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X