Bcachefs Lands More Fixes Ahead Of Linux 6.7 Stable Debut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post
    I know its very early days, but I tried it recently, I also tried crash testing it, I had a web browser open, a file manager open, a text file open, and was playing a video in mpv when I pressed the restart button, on reboot I had to manually fsck my home partition, I rebooted again and logged into the desktop, where I discovered the video I had been watching was now at 0 bytes, I also did the same test on xfs, jfs, and f2fs, (on jfs I had no video playing, just an open text file) on jfs the text file was at 0 bytes, and on xfs and f2fs everything was fine, they rebooted without issue and I didn't loose any data, I did it a total of five times and never lost any data.
    You're saying you loosed a file that was used read-only during a crash/reset? Is this reproducable?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

You're saying you loosed a file that was used read-only during a crash/reset? Is this reproducable?
      It should be reproducible, once was enough for me though, all I did was open the file manager, click on the video, which started playing in MPV, then I pressed the reboot button on my PC, then when it rebooted after running fsck the file was at 0 bytes, I don't know if it was the fsck that zeroed out the file?

Comment

It should be reproducible, once was enough for me though, all I did was open the file manager, click on the video, which started playing in MPV, then I pressed the reboot button on my PC, then when it rebooted after running fsck the file was at 0 bytes, I don't know if it was the fsck that zeroed out the file?
        Depends on the filesystem. With jfs I would expect something in /lost+found after fsck. I'm not aware of zeroed files after log-replay. XFS had this behavior long time ago, because of delayed allocations. But this happened with file writes.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Depends on the filesystem. With jfs I would expect something in /lost+found after fsck. I'm not aware of zeroed files after log-replay. XFS had this behavior long time ago, because of delayed allocations. But this happened with file writes.
          Well at least in my test xfs doesn't appear to have any issues anymore, neither does f2fs, I don't know what's happening with bcachefs, but personally I wouldn't be using it on my machine.

Comment

why not reproduce and report?

losing data during read is a ridiculously dangerous bug.

Comment

Originally posted by User29 View Post

why not reproduce and report?

losing data during read is a ridiculously dangerous bug.
              Basically I couldn't be bothered, I was just experimenting with different file systems at the time.

Comment

Well at least in my test xfs doesn't appear to have any issues anymore, neither does f2fs, I don't know what's happening with bcachefs, but personally I wouldn't be using it on my machine.
                For the filesystems without any internal checksums, did you verify that every file on your machine actually matched what it was supposed to?

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

For the filesystems without any internal checksums, did you verify that every file on your machine actually matched what it was supposed to?
                  Nope, it wasn't a comprehensive test, just a basic test, the video was fine, and the text file was fine, and that was good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

More important, bcachefs must have logged something about these files.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

it was supposed to be already perfect, or at least this is what the fanbois say!
                      show me where

Comment

Working...
                      X