Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Funny, that nobody mentioned the kernel
    According to the article, it is only for residents of the USA, so we can't get our hands on it - so how could we comment on it?

Comment

America is not likely also in the netherlands(VS or the states) but the name of the netherlands is also called wrong the name Holland but that ar two province only from 12.

Comment

Originally posted by kiersie View Post
        America is not likely also in the netherlands(VS or the states) but the name of the netherlands is also called wrong the name Holland but that ar two province only from 12.
        Indeed, I do it myself most of the time But I know it is wrong and would not use it officially, just privately

"Holland (Venlo)" is only 20km away from here

Comment

Darn. I'm Dutch and I didn't knew that!

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
            I have to partially disagree with you. Right, people have been using "America" for the USA - even here in Germany - they still do. But then it's simply plain wrong. The country's name is United states OF america. America is the continent. That says every worldmap.

I really think this is discriminatory towards all other countries in America, since it makes them look "less important". Which is of course not the case.
            This is ridiculous. You can try to redefine the term if you want, but don't complain when others use it the way it's been used for the last hundred years. As far as making other countries look less important, if you think this matters then those countries are either super insecure, or they really are that unimportant. Complaining about what people call another country isn't doing them any favors.

And lots of countries have their names shortened like this - Britain, Iran, North Korea, China, etc. all have much longer names that no one uses.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 05 July 2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I do understand what mcgreg is saying though; it seems like everyone is a lot more touchy about imagined offences these days. Maybe that means there has been progress in solving the real problems and now people are looking at the little stuff, but it seems to me that there are enough big problems in the world we should be trying to resolve first.

So, how's that new kernel working for everyone ?
              Last edited by bridgman; 05 July 2009, 01:56 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                So, how's that new kernel working for everyone ?
                I'm getting a BSOD from time to time (black screen of death), some module is crapping out. Also they left stlc45xx broken, it doesn't compile. My X-Fi Prelude works now out of the box, looks like the git alsa is completely merged.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Funny, that nobody mentioned the kernel
                  People just want to keep on topic

Comment

The graphics part of 2.6.31-rc2 is working fine (as well as xf86-video-ati git normally works, anyway), but I have been having issues with ejecting DVDs from my optical drive for a few days now (git copies of Linus' linux-2.6 tree)

In gnome (ubuntu 9.04), either right click + eject, or pressing the eject button on the drive leads to the following:

Code:
                    Cannot eject volume

There was an error ejecting the volume or drive.

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure:
                    eject: unable to eject, last error: inappropriate ioctl for device.

Comment

I am testing that kernel now too, it has a major problem, device-mapper is broken. I found a working patch here:

Also for older gcc you need one additional patch:

Last edited by Kano; 07 July 2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X