No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Lands Big Scalability Improvement, Disables Debug Option By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this, but does it support the fscrypt interface?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      I found this, but does it support the fscrypt interface?
      No, as stated, it only supports encrypting the whole fs.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post

No, as stated, it only supports encrypting the whole fs.
        Ah, that's a pitty. I wanted to encrypt user home directories with user passwords -- like what homed supports.

Comment

I gave bcachefs a small try yesterday. I just pulled 6.7-rc0 from fedora rawhide, compiled bcachefs tools and it worked. I formatted a 16TB drive and copied over a 1TB dump of the ssd I plan to add to the pool later.

I wonder, there was no drama on LKML this time was there?

Another question: Currently bcachefs only supports two tiers for storage right?

Comment

mount /dev/cdrom /home/user/mounted/Windows2095 isso9660 as ext4 with ECC, bcache on tmp, qouta for memory, io disk operations limit and executute permission without net

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
              Hope Bcachefs becomes good enough to make people stop caring for a certain out-of-tree fs.
              hey, only because the creator has killed his wife doesn't mean we should forget about the MurdeRS, sorry, I meant ReiserFS
              Last edited by szymon_g; 08 November 2023, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

hey, only because the creator has killed his wife doesn't mean we should forget about the MurdeRS, sorry, I meant RaiserFS
                Reiser, not Raiser

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

hey, only because the creator has killed his wife doesn't mean we should forget about the MurdeRS, sorry, I meant RaiserFS
                  I don't think anyone cares for RaiserFS anymore - except for murder jokes. The not-to-be-named out of tree FS is <Zensored>FS
                  Last edited by Mathias; 08 November 2023, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                    Hope Bcachefs becomes good enough to make people stop caring for a certain out-of-tree fs.
                    It won't. While it's nice that this exists, it has similar mount and subvolume option limitations as that other buttery smooth in-tree fs where subvolumes inherit the parent mount's options so they don't always have per-subvolume options. It wouldn't surprise me if Bcachefs needs a 2.0 to fix that. BTRFS will likely need the same.

It is literally because of that issue that a certain out-of-tree fs will still be used. It doesn't matter how good Bcachefs or BTRFS are if they don't have the capability and features to replicate all the data management options that ZFS users have access to.

In its current state Bcachefs is a BTRFS replacement, not a ZFS replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post

I don't think anyone cares for RaiserFS anymore - except for murder jokes. The not-to-be-named out of tree FS is <bleep>FS
                      "I am Lord Z(edd)FS, Emperor of all I see. You have failed to complete the mission assigned to you. I will now resume command. Prepare the palace for my return." ―Lord Z(edd)FS's first words when appearing in storm clouds over the Moon Palace.[src]

Comment

Working...
                      X