Glibc Dynamic Loader Hit By A Nasty Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aviallon View Post
    I wonder if this could be easily combined with a browser exploit to make a very nasty attack vector.
    Then look for a browser vulnerability which enables a remote attacker to make it execute arbitrary code (or arbitrary shell commands).

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post
      Looking at the code cited in the email, seriously, WTF? I'm not surprised they have security issues. Not a single helper functions for string parsing and manipulation, everything open coded while loops, checking *x for \0 etc. That looks like code from the 30 years ago, no wonder nobody spotted the bug in all that mess.
      If I had a nickel for every time I said that while reading code...

Would be even funnier if somebody famous wrote the code... and not unheard of!

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post
        Love the picture. I wonder what socket this is.

I wonder if this could be easily combined with a browser exploit to make a very nasty attack vector.
        A browser exploit allowing code execution outside the sandbox is already apocalypse-level. No need to chain it with this one any more.

Comment

Switching euid to reuid, if different, on entering ld.so and back just before the main code would at least make the attacker work a bit harder
          The setuid bit has probably caused more grief than any other Unix feature. I always had the feeling it was a backward step from Multics.
          Seeing more use of Linux capabilities which I guess can limit the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post

If I had a nickel for every time I said that while reading code...

Would be even funnier if somebody famous wrote the code... and not unheard of!
            if I had a nickel for every time that you read some bad code and could have submitted a patch and you didn't !
            Last edited by cynic; 04 October 2023, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Seems to be fixed on Gentoo at least.

Comment

Originally posted by docontra View Post
                Good guy glibc, giving us all a reason to try out systemctl soft-reset
                You mean:
                Code:
                systemctl soft-reboot

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

if I had a nickel for every time that you read some bad code and could have submitted a patch and you didn't !
                  You'd likely be very very poor, as you obviously forgot calculating the time required for creating and submitting patches!

(Not to further mention, dealing with some of the anti-social hierarchy.)

And, thanks for further demeaning the time that I do spend submitting patches. Keep trying though, sooner or later I'm sure you'll make me look evil!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

If I had a nickel for every retort I have read on Moronix that suggests someone should write some code and submit that as a patch.

Comment

what's a nickel?

Comment

Working...
                      X