EXT4, Btrfs, NILFS2 Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh missed you Jeade :P

The article was about new filesystems -in kernel-. When Reiser4 is there, it'll see similar articles too.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Heh missed you Jeade :P

The article was about new filesystems -in kernel-. When Reiser4 is there, it'll see similar articles too.
      ++

seriously ! it would be nice to see several benchmarks of reiser4 and how it's comparing to the other filesystems (default format, gzip-, lzo-compression)

all filesystems shouldn't be mounted with default but with at least noatime,nodiratime

reiser4 and btrfs have several commonalities but also a lot of differences so I'm interested how they're stacking up against each other

@Sleuth:

I feel your pain

but in this way you won't resurrect his wife and pull him out of prison ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
        Why do you not mention Reiser's filesystems?
        Isn't it obvious?
        Because Phoronix, whis is actually owned by jews, is part of the conspiracy to keep Reiser4 down. I also think that Michael himself murdered Reiser's wife and framed him for it.
        Well, that'd be one reason. Or perhaps it's actually because Reiser4 is unmaintained, there's no way it's gonna be included in the mainline-kernel anytime soon and because it's all-around pretty much dead.
        Your choose, I guess. I'd go with the second awnser. :P
        Also: Welcome back Jade, long time no see. I thought you were banned?

Comment

The jew/ folder really ticked me off, so I wrote a short email to abuse?monkeysign?50webs? com

EDIT:
          50webs removed the site.
          thanks 50web!
          Last edited by frische; 02 July 2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Extend Phoronix Test Suite disk tests?

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
            Yay! It's the crazy Reiser fan!

I've missed their rantings.

Also: MY THOUGHTS ON TEH GREAT JFS AND EXT2 CONSPIRACIES

But seriously though, looking at that I have a few quesions:

1) Does this mean we should just stick with EXT3?? Surely not.
            My feeling from these results is that ext4 is the new general purpose filesystem for everyday use.

2) What about deleting large files (mythtv)? Is XFS still the daddy for your 3.5TiB XFS partition containing all my myth media and every file is >2GiB?
            Now this would be a good new test for phoronix test suite, the time it takes to delete a single file of various sizes, along with deleting a directory tree of data recursively.

And of course, mixing up the reading and writing tests so they run at the same time and see which finishes first, and how much of an impact you have on each other. Esp since systems are reading and writing at the same time, so benchmarking that nicely would be useful.

Of course, you can go gaga on this type of testing, which is why they always say to benchmark your application as the true test. But for a desktop, general purpose system, doing a bunch of file operations in a mixed mode is always useful to see.

Some proposed tests:

- read/write a pair of 2/4/8gb files at the same time. Track the read and write times and put them side by side to see which finishes first, and how big the impact is on each other.

- time to delete 2/4/8gb single files.

- time to delete 2/4/8gb single file while reading/writing a single 2/4/8gb file. Measure jitter, response. Not sure how to show it graphically though.

- time to extract the linux kernel, recursively grep all the files for a pattern, then to delete the tree of files.

The overall aim is to see how filesystems perform under mixed loads, if at all possible.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              Or perhaps it's actually because Reiser4 is unmaintained, there's no way it's gonna be included in the mainline-kernel anytime soon and because it's all-around pretty much dead.
              one word: FUD

it's in fact very vivid, just take a look at the reiserfs mailing list

Comment

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
                My feeling from these results is that ext4 is the new general purpose filesystem for everyday use.
                seems so: it's currently the filesystem with the best performance / throughput

(no stats from reiser4 so can't tell if it's slower or pretty much competitive)

now if its efficiency in relation to lots of small files could only be improved

another feature nice to include in other filesystems would be "trees that cache well" I guess that's one reason why reiser4 is so gentle on harddisks (it can be hardly heard during usage while nevertheless providing high performance), from what I saw btrfs is going to include something related, not sure though ...
                Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 29 June 2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                  one word: FUD

it's in fact very vivid, just take a look at the reiserfs mailing list
                  Isn't Reiser4 in the kernel, because it pollutes too many kernel areas like xen does?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Isn't Reiser4 in the kernel, because it pollutes too many kernel areas like xen does?
                    It's been cleaned up over the years. IIRC, the current maintainer said sometime last year that he will submit it for review again when it's ready (can't find the message at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                      It's been cleaned up over the years. IIRC, the current maintainer said sometime last year that he will submit it for review again when it's ready (can't find the message at the moment).
                      This makes sense. They should also change the name in my opinion...

Comment

Working...
                      X