Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Wine Wayland Code Has Been Merged

Phoronix: More Wine Wayland Code Has Been Merged

Since the early bits of Wine Wayland support were merged back in March for building up a native Wayland display driver, Alexandros Frantzis has continued submitting more of the code for review and upstreaming. Wednesday marked the third chunk of Wine Wayland code to be merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much rounds are remaining?

Comment

Originally posted by cewbdex View Post
      How much rounds are remaining?
      Just an estimate looking at the tree on his gitlab and comparing between the other merge requests. I would think there would be at least 6 more (possibly even more) there are only 200-400 lines of code in each mr and from what I can see at least 4000 lines of code on his tree.

Comment

Quite ironic that they’ll be more Windows applications that run on Wayland natively than Linux ones

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Quite ironic that they’ll be more Windows applications that run on Wayland natively than Linux ones
          That's what people used to say about Windows too when Windows was young and DOS apps were king…

Comment

Originally posted by blackcat View Post

Just an estimate looking at the tree on his gitlab and comparing between the other merge requests. I would think there would be at least 6 more (possibly even more) there are only 200-400 lines of code in each mr and from what I can see at least 4000 lines of code on his tree.
            They might increase the number of lines committed once the "important ones" get merged. I personally hope they merge everything in order to be ready for Wine 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's what people used to say about Windows too when Windows was young and DOS apps were king…
              Only difference is, amount of windows apps was growing. And amount of Linux games goes down.
              People like me were bitching about proton for long time, and we were right. Proton killed native gaming on Linux.

To all us Linux games, please only buy windows games at bare minimum costs. like 80-90% discounts. Pay full price for Linux native games only.
              Albeit, what to do with shitty ports?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Only difference is, amount of windows apps was growing. And amount of Linux games goes down.
                People like me were bitching about proton for long time, and we were right. Proton killed native gaming on Linux.

To all us Linux games, please only buy windows games at bare minimum costs. like 80-90% discounts. Pay full price for Linux native games only.
                Proton is not what killed native gaming, it was already stagnant, that is exactly -why- proton got made, valve was hearing the same thing I was hearing
                from my dev friends:

"The upkeep is too expensive for us to support linux"

Proton is the reason -lots- of people are able to cut windows loose for the first time, and just in time I might add because Windows 11 is a nightmare.

If a "solution" involves changing thousands of legacy products to fit your worldview, then you are doing it wrong, its the principle skinner meme in software form "hmmm could it be that im that out of touch with the kids?.......no no its clearly the kids who are out of touch!"

Even if linux had 90% of the marketshare, you'd be lucky if a game stayed up on steam for 2 years, because of the upkeep problem, putting the games behind an "interpreter" (WINE) means the games can be 'finished', that development actually has an end point, and that those games will always work as long as just wine itself is
                maintained vs trying to maintain tens of thousands of pieces software hailing from different developers all over the world that are intended to be sold for profit, they won't
                nor will not ever be open source and thus no one can volunteer to spend endless hours updating them.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

If the game runs on Linux distributions as well as on Windows, I don't see any benefits to making a Linux port, only unnecessarily increasing costs. Often older games run better with dxvk than native with OpenGL. I don't really understand your point. Old Linux games won't support new technologies like Wayland, while with Proton they could.

Comment

My grand kids will love retro gaming on wayland linux with GTA XII.

Comment

Working...
                    X