Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I will need work through all kinds of shitty docs or oot drivers to make customized DSP processing of my Sound Blaster Z (my RealTek on-board audio and two different USB DACs failed to provide my headphones with a signal that's free of buzzing or white noise...) accessible on Linux, which is imperative, as its defaults are terrible...

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Sorry, not my experience. (Debian Testing) with pipewire 0.3.65-3.
      same for me for most of the time. the issue is that sometimes i have the 7.1 speakers a bit louder and when that noise kicks in my ears will berserk
      but to be honest i haven't been using windows as much as before....like i keep it to test if some bugs are related to wine/dxvk or not. so yeap...like 5-10 minutes sesion every now and then. so maybe the sound on windows is as bad as linux now days....who knows....

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Looks like I will need work through all kinds of shitty docs or oot drivers to make customized DSP processing of my Sound Blaster Z (my RealTek on-board audio and two different USB DACs failed to provide my headphones with a signal that's free of buzzing or white noise...) accessible on Linux, which is imperative, as its defaults are terrible...
        Are you aware about the ground loop problem in USB?

Comment

I remember when audio problems were a thing in Linux. ALSA, barely any configuration, no per app sound adjustment, compatibility problems. Then early Pulseadio days, bugs, massive stuttering and latency.
          These days are long gone and audio subsystem just works in all distros. ❤️
          yup! I gave up understanding the Linux audio stack long time ago, but until things work out of the box I'm fine with it

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

same for me for most of the time. the issue is that sometimes i have the 7.1 speakers a bit louder and when that noise kicks in my ears will berserk
            but to be honest i haven't been using windows as much as before....like i keep it to test if some bugs are related to wine/dxvk or not. so yeap...like 5-10 minutes sesion every now and then. so maybe the sound on windows is as bad as linux now days....who knows....
            I don't use 5.1 or 7.1 so I have no experience on that field.
            And I am blessed to be free from any Windows devices in my household. 🥰

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post

it still be nice to change the bit rate via a gui manually. just like it be nice to change the sample rate via a gui.
              Would be cool if we had a good crossdistro GUI that we could configure pipewire extensively. I think that maybe EasyEffects can expand their scope a little...

Comment

Sorry, not my experience. (Debian Testing) with pipewire 0.3.65-3.
                Same with Pipewire 0.3.66. Probably a regression in newer versions.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

Would be cool if we had a good crossdistro GUI that we could configure pipewire extensively. I think that maybe EasyEffects can expand their scope a little...
                  EasyEffects is 2 channel stereo only. I don't think support for other use cases (X.Y.Z or PRO multichannel modes) is planned.
                  Last edited by mppix; 17 May 2023, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

a gui would be very nice indeed, but I dont think easyeffects is a good path forwards for this,

Comment

Shouldn't be too hard to whip up a quick Qt GUI or similar for configuring this, assuming it is as easy as sending some Dbus commands (which I assume is what pw-metadata does). Or you could just invoke pw-metadata from the GUI.

​​​​​However, I don't have any personal need for it, since I'm not a audiophile who need to change the sample rate to match a lossless file I'm listening to.
                      ​​​​​​
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X