Linux Features Loved By Microsoft Engineers Working On WSL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Oh it's definitely technically possible but the Linux kernel is staunchly against it on idealogical grounds. The Linux devs expect everything to be maintained in the tree and heavily resist any movement to the contrary.
    Which one of the main reasons why im surprised that Valve and others affected by this didnt pour resources into HaikuOS instead of Linux.

Also why i see google eventually dropping Linux for Fuschia.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Which one of the main reasons why im surprised that Valve and others affected by this didnt pour resources into HaikuOS instead of Linux.

Also why i see google eventually dropping Linux for Fuschia.
      You know, a few months ago I was saying that that the fact a single binary driver can delivered as an installer package and installed across multiple versions of Windows without having to fuck around with the kernel and with DirectX speaks volumes of just how well Windows is designed as an operating system compared to Linux and macOS.

And boy was I cussed the heck out by Linux users who actually believed this convenience was the perfect example of how Windows has "bad design". You can't make this up.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

which will end up in windows without anyone knowing.

I know its a trap, but cant see it and it will be too late.
        If they end up in Windows in the form of GPL'd code, then it's not a trap, it's participation in FOSS.

If they end up in Windows in the form of a proprietary reimplementation, that's not a trap either, it's perfectly legitimate.

If they end up in Windows in the form of proprietarised code in violation of the GPL... well I very much doubt that MS legal department would allow that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

What I am talking about would require Linux to have stable APIs that are stable throughout different Linux major versions, just like Windows does.
          Or maybe offloading more drivers into userspace, which makes new drivers significantly easier to write and sandboxed against any memory related bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            What the hell kind of drugs are Microsoft huffing this time.

Suspend to disk has always been present on Windows. And a lot more reliable too.
            Honestly, Windows suspend is a crapshoot, especially on devices without batteries. There are still several problems that can occur during both suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk, which can lead to Windows not booting properly anymore and needing to be repaired. Admittedly it's better with Win 10/11 than what it was back in the XP era, but still common enough that the Windows IT techs at work have to repair suspend-broken Windows systems every few weeks.

Linux-on-ice definitely took a while to stabilize, but nowadays the suspend functionality on Linux is absolutely amazing; Sub-second RAM suspend times, similar resume times, hybrid sleep, encrypted suspend-to-disk, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

Honestly, Windows suspend is a crapshoot, especially on devices without batteries. There are still several problems that can occur during both suspend-to-ram and suspend-to-disk, which can lead to Windows not booting properly anymore and needing to be repaired. Admittedly it's better with Win 10/11 than what it was back in the XP era, but still common enough that the Windows IT techs at work have to repair suspend-broken Windows systems every few weeks.

Linux-on-ice definitely took a while to stabilize, but nowadays the suspend functionality on Linux is absolutely amazing; Sub-second RAM suspend times, similar resume times, hybrid sleep, encrypted suspend-to-disk, etc.
              I don't believe a single word.

Every single laptop I owned since 2006 till today never had problems with suspend and hibernate on Windows. It's always on Linux where suspend is broken, like being unable to wake, waking to a black screen, waking with dead keyboards, or even waking to a fucking panic because the storage device went offline and refused to wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Never happen.

Of anything, they may decide to pull an Apple and switch to a BSD based kernel, which is something I have been hoping to happen for about 20 years now.
                This is not true. The MacOS kernel has nothing to do with BSD. It is a microkernel based loosely off of neXT's (another steve jobs company) design. The only thing taken from FreeBSD is bits of the base system.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

This is not true. The MacOS kernel has nothing to do with BSD. It is a microkernel based loosely off of neXT's (another steve jobs company) design. The only thing taken from FreeBSD is bits of the base system.
                  Wrong. The XNU kernel is based off Mach 2.5 which in turn was a modified BSD 4.3 kernel.

Comment

MS should do a radical move and release DX11-12 for Linux along with a Linux version of their Store and Xbox Live service that plugs into DX11-12 for Linux seamlessly (and allows certain office and utility apps to work I guess).

I can ONLY see it as a bonus for them to also start selling software under Linux to GENERAL desktop users. They really gain very little by forcing everyone to Windows except telemetry data, which they could gain some under Linux also if they wanted.

I think I'm too revolutionary for the times, every company wants their own locked up ecosystem these days...
                    Last edited by theriddick; 15 May 2023, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      MS should do a radical move and release DX11-12 for Linux along with a Linux version of their Store and Xbox Live service that plugs into DX11-12 for Linux seamlessly (and allows certain office and utility apps to work I guess).

I can ONLY see it as a bonus for them to also start selling software under Linux to GENERAL desktop users. They really gain very little by forcing everyone to Windows except telemetry data, which they could gain some under Linux also if they wanted.

I think I'm too revolutionary for the times, every company wants their own locked up echo-system these days...
                      I guess that Microsoft will move to Vulkan APIs once switched to Windows operating system based on Linux. If this happens, will be positive also for free Linux operating systems, other than GPu's companies and gaming developers. Dx will be deprecated in future games and operating systems, but used just for legacy games.

Comment

Working...
                      X