Linux 6.1.19 LTS & 6.2.6 Released With AMD System Stuttering Workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1.19 LTS & 6.2.6 Released With AMD System Stuttering Workaround

Phoronix: Linux 6.1.19 LTS & 6.2.6 Released With AMD System Stuttering Workaround

Following last night's Linux 6.2-rc2 release that brings a workaround for system stuttering on some AMD Ryzen systems, that workaround was quickly back-ported to the Linux 6.1 LTS and 6.2 stable series and spun into new releases for Monday morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Spring is not only for mating, looks like it's also for a flood of stable releases

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Spring is not only for mating, looks like it's also for a flood of stable releases
      Well, mating releases a lot of chemicals into the brain that can cause stability...and a lot of bug reports during the instabilities of no nut November (who actually does that dumb internet crap?).

Comment

Wouldn't the rc2 be from 6.3 and not 6.2 Michael ?

Do we need updated bios for this or is it ok to have Linux load the latest AMD firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Wouldn't the rc2 be from 6.3 and not 6.2 Michael ?

Do we need updated bios for this or is it ok to have Linux load the latest AMD firmware?
          Yes, typo, fixed. Thanks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I recommend to just disable TPM in BIOS, most linux users won't or can't use it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              I recommend to just disable TPM in BIOS, most linux users won't or can't use it anyway.
              That.

It's not like a thief is going to specifically gank my hard drives. They'll gank the whole PC or laptop. The only time FDE matters is if you're worried about a state sponsored actor stealing one or two disks from your server...and if they have that kind of access then there are two assumptions that are likely: 1) they probably have access to your encryption keys if they have access to your hard drives; and 2) you have horrible security and should look into fixing the hackers have physical access to the mainframe problem.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That.

It's not like a thief is going to specifically gank my hard drives. They'll gank the whole PC or laptop. The only time FDE matters is if you're worried about a state sponsored actor stealing one or two disks from your server...and if they have that kind of access then there are two assumptions that are likely: 1) they probably have access to your encryption keys if they have access to your hard drives; and 2) you have horrible security and should look into fixing the hackers have physical access to the mainframe problem.
                A state sponsored someone will simply implant a HW keyboard logger, dump your entire disk and then wait for you to enter your FDE password. Poof, all your data are belong to us.

And there are even simpler methods:

Last edited by avis; 13 March 2023, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That.

No. FDE also matters in the case where someone steals my laptop, so that they can't use my data to additionally steal money from my bank account or try to extort me. (Of course, I would use a passphrase here and not a TPM.)

Comment

version 6.2.6 fixes a bad issue with wireless connection, too

Comment

Working...
                    X