No announcement yet.

Linux 6.4 To Remove Old Workaround For Running On Very Outdated Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.4 To Remove Old Workaround For Running On Very Outdated Distributions

Phoronix: Linux 6.4 To Remove Old Workaround For Running On Very Outdated Distributions

Linux 6.4 is set to remove the old CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 options that are used for running newer versions of the Linux kernel with very old Linux distributions and user-space tools. Pre 2007~2008 distributions as a result would likely run into trouble trying to run on Linux 6.4+ kernels...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems Michael has hit a gold mine lately in writing an article about every removal of some obsolete functionality that nobody has needed for the past 87 years. Guaranteed clicks and enraged people arguing endlessly!
    popcorn-bean.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
      Seems Michael has hit a gold mine lately in writing an article about every removal of some obsolete functionality that nobody has needed for the past 87 years. Guaranteed clicks and enraged people arguing endlessly!
      popcorn-bean.jpg
      Wth is the point of your rant? Dont like his articles? Why come here at all

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Wth is the point of your rant?
        To laugh at the expense of all those people who get terribly upset every time Michael publishes an article like this.

Dont like his articles? Why come here at all
        Oh, I enjoy them and particularly the ensuing "discussion" very much, thank you.

Comment

This affects literally no one.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            This affects literally no one.
            I wouldn't be so sure. A surprising number of companies have a software archeology department that keeps old Linux installs alive.

Some of them are forced to run newer kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post

I wouldn't be so sure. A surprising number of companies have a software archeology department that keeps old Linux installs alive.

Name at least 5 with proof that they are indeed using modern kernels on RH 9, FC 1 or 2, etc. I'm reasonably sure a modern kernel won't even build on GCC and build tools that old. After all, we're talking about (the infamous) GCC 2.96 on RH and early 3.x on FC.
              Last edited by stormcrow; 12 March 2023, 09:04 AM.

Comment

As far as I understand, that option actually hides /sys/class/block, while the (old?) /sys/block is always available anyway. I'm going to switch my usage to /sys/class/block regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Name at least 5 with proof that they are indeed using modern kernels on RH 9, FC 1 or 2, etc. I'm reasonably sure a modern kernel won't even build on GCC and build tools that old. After all, we're talking about (the infamous) GCC 2.96 on RH and early 3.x on FC.
                  I no longer work in the air travel industry, so I don't have access to the best examples anymore

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post

I work somewhere with some very old systems running, and we definitely aren't compiling newer kernels. I would imagine the kinds of orgs with technical debt that still has them running 10-15 year-old software probably mostly 'virtualize and protect' stuff that they can't change.

Comment

Working...
                    X