Linux 6.2.4 & 6.1.17 Released To Fix An Easy-To-Trigger Kernel Oops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2.4 & 6.1.17 Released To Fix An Easy-To-Trigger Kernel Oops

Phoronix: Linux 6.2.4 & 6.1.17 Released To Fix An Easy-To-Trigger Kernel Oops

Linux 6.2.4 and 6.1.17 kernels have been released this morning as new emergency releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sadly the tipster hasn't been mentioned but it's not the first time. I'm not welcomed here anyways.

Comment

6.2.5 is already out

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
        6.2.5 is already out
        #peakbugs :-/

Comment

6.2.5 is already out
          + 6.1.18

Comment

Hmmm anyone notice they typically have about one of these major issues a year? Thankfully this one was very unlikely to lead to data loss... and most of the really ugly ones get caught by the bleeding edge users in testing.

Still one would think this would be an automated test case no?

Comment

6.2.5 is already out
              Yeah, they picked seemingly a thousand random fixes, turns out many of them weren't properly tested.

"Stable" kernels.

GH: "all users must update".

Yeah, right.

The only two kernels I fully trust and ready to update to come from RHEL and Google.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                Sadly the tipster hasn't been mentioned but it's not the first time. I'm not welcomed here anyways.
                The tipster seems to be Mike Cloaked. You can look it up in the linked bug, if you're interested.

Originally posted by avis View Post

Yeah, they picked seemingly a thousand random fixes, turns out many of them weren't properly tested.

"Stable" kernels.

GH: "all users must update".

Yeah, right.

The only two kernels I fully trust and ready to update to come from RHEL and Google.
                He mentions in his presentation at YT what could you expect by not using stable kernels. I think it makes sense, and everyone can commit an error.

Comment

He does let a lot of random fixes into the stable trees and gives people only 48 hours to test them only because big corps want those fixes in.
                  So I have an idea.
                  We pick a kernel version, use it, and ignore any updates. We report any breakages the next day, week, or month. If one of us finds a bug, we try something else.
                  I'm installing 6.1.18 now and I will refrain from updates. We'll eventually find something stable for all our use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

The tipster seems to be Mike Cloaked. You can look it up in the linked bug, if you're interested.

He mentions in his presentation at YT what could you expect by not using stable kernels. I think it makes sense, and everyone can commit an error.

It was me who tipped some Michael Larabel about this bug. Period. Michael is not [yet] subscribed to the kernel bugzilla. Maybe he will after this accident.
                    Last edited by avis; 11 March 2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X