FFmpeg 6.0 Released With NVIDIA NVENC AV1, VA-API Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Yes. It seems decoding has been possible for years now (at least the FFMPEG wiki lists it only supporting decoding via the API and I don't see any changes of the last few months to it). I thought it could do both for years already.
    Cool, now it's just wait until some transcoding app uses ffmpeg 6.

Comment

In my case runs on xubuntu 23.04 with some minor thing in console about matroska but video encode works ok

Comment

While the whole logic behind video codex, muxers or handling video buffers can be complex, the calls to ffmpeg (API or as CLI) are manageable. If your favorite software does not support a recent ffmpeg, take yourself a weekend, try to close the source and get the build-pipeline (and tests, if such exists) running and try updating it yourself. That is the beauty of FOSS!

I am always amazed at the obscure codecs they support. Cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Tian View Post

Cool, now it's just wait until some transcoding app uses ffmpeg 6.
          At least if you don't know how to compile it yourself, yes. But for all I know this app can take self compiled binaries https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lexx.ffmpeggui

I haven't yet successfully compiled ffmpeg for Android, as Google switched the committee l compiler tool chain a few years back (I think from GCC to clang) and compiling with it failed last time I checked, but I hope the guide I found recently works and can compile ffmpeg for newer versions of Android. Now I just have to find the time to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

At least if you don't know how to compile it yourself, yes.
            I know how to compile but that will not help. API is totally broken - so you need not just to know how to compile but how to rewrite the code.

Opencascade can not still be compiled with ffmpeg more than 4, and port to ffmpeg 5 for many other software happened not so long ago. Now they again broken the compatibility. And with this approach I am not sure if the software developers will actually continue porting or finally say enough, and simply signore and skip some of those versions.

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post

I know how to compile but that will not help. API is totally broken - so you need not just to know how to compile but how to rewrite the code.

Opencascade can not still be compiled with ffmpeg more than 4, and port to ffmpeg 5 for many other software happened not so long ago. Now they again broken the compatibility. And with this approach I am not sure if the software developers will actually continue porting or finally say enough, and simply signore and skip some of those versions.
              That shouldn't be that much of a problem. After all, you don't need an App that uses the API, just use the CLI of FFMPEG. The app I mentioned doesn't really have any capabilities beyond that (sure, it can tell you some metadata about the file, but you can simply install Termux and install mediainfo inside it and you have all the same capabilities. And at least I hope you can simply execute a ffmpeg binary from there with hardware acceleration available.

Comment

I see they finally removed the Broadcom Crystal HD code. It's been almost a decade since the driver code for those cards was removed from the kernel.

Comment

Pretty sure nvenc av1 encoding support was already in, I know it cuz I tried to use it but couldn't because you need a 4000 series card and I only have 3000 series (which has av1 decode but not encode)

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                  In my case runs on xubuntu 23.04 with some minor thing in console about matroska but video encode works ok

That's h264 encode.
                  Last edited by rabcor; 02 March 2023, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Pretty sure nvenc av1 encoding support was already in, I know it cuz I tried to use it but couldn't because you need a 4000 series card and I only have 3000 series (which has av1 decode but not encode)

That's h264 encode.
                    Yeah is only for show how run ffmpeg 6.0 on uhd 630 gt2 in h264 as your said, for av1 need arc or newer geforce and radeon as your said

Comment

Working...
                    X