Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 6.0 Released With NVIDIA NVENC AV1, VA-API Improvements

Phoronix: FFmpeg 6.0 Released With NVIDIA NVENC AV1, VA-API Improvements

As was expected given the FFmpeg 6.0 FOSDEM presentation earlier this month in Brussels, this multimedia open-source project is now celebrating its latest major release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is it possible for end-users to take benefit for these improvements? No.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      is it possible for end-users to take benefit for these improvements? No.
      Yes, by using FFmpeg 6.0 or software using it indirectly.

Comment

Still no AC4, but from what I understand, the spec is garbage and Dolby Labs is always ready for litigation.

Comment

Is it possible to encode HEVC with an alpha channel (transparent background video) without using a Mac now?
          ​

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Yes, by using FFmpeg 6.0 or software using it indirectly.
            The bad part being, due to API breaking, lots of these software are still stuck on FFmpeg 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

The bad part being, due to API breaking, lots of these software are still stuck on FFmpeg 4.4
              Oh, interesting. This is why lots of software are still using 4.x releases.
              I guess it'll take some more time until everything settles down and the ecosystem moves forward. A bit like happened with the major step from Python 2 et Python 3

Comment

It says it has mediacodec support... Can I transcode videos on my phone now?

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Oh, interesting. This is why lots of software are still using 4.x releases.
                  I guess it'll take some more time until everything settles down and the ecosystem moves forward. A bit like happened with the major step from Python 2 et Python 3
                  Sadly, Python 3 was essentially a one-time thing ; FFmpeg regularly release new x versions (the consequences begin happily much less serious than for Python)

Comment

Originally posted by Tian View Post
                    It says it has mediacodec support... Can I transcode videos on my phone now?
                    Yes. It seems decoding has been possible for years now (at least the FFMPEG wiki lists it only supporting decoding via the API and I don't see any changes of the last few months to it). I thought it could do both for years already.

Comment

Working...
                    X