RISC-V With Linux 6.3 Lands Optimized String Functions Via Zbb Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V With Linux 6.3 Lands Optimized String Functions Via Zbb Extension

Phoronix: RISC-V With Linux 6.3 Lands Optimized String Functions Via Zbb Extension

The RISC-V architecture updates were merged this Saturday for the Linux 6.3 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing that I have being noticing is how RISC-V people is being trying to kill this architecture, using names for its extensions that no one can understand..so sad.

Comment

In contrast, I'm impressed by how much work the community contributes for this architecture. The corporations and their employees contribute a lot to architectures that benefit them, of course. That's natural and expected. But the fact that RISC-V still comes far short of being commercially usable hasn't greatly hurt it's development.

Comment

I really wish someone would design a Risc-V platform (ie cpu-socket, cpu, motherboards). Bonus points of they can use the AM4/AM5 cpu coolers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
          In contrast, I'm impressed by how much work the community contributes for this architecture. The corporations and their employees contribute a lot to architectures that benefit them, of course. That's natural and expected. But the fact that RISC-V still comes far short of being commercially usable hasn't greatly hurt it's development.
          RISC-V is widely used commercially already. Over 10 billion cores shipped as of last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            One thing that I have being noticing is how RISC-V people is being trying to kill this architecture, using names for its extensions that no one can understand..so sad.
            Zbb is part of B (bitmanip) extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

RISC-V is widely used commercially already. Over 10 billion cores shipped as of last summer.
              An interesting article and very encouraging progress; thank you!

Comment

There are more RISC-V related changes for 6.3 than just this pull request. In particular, the linux-next tree aready includes kernel config option and (partial) device trees for Allwinner sun20i SoCs, ie. Allwinner D1 and related boards (look for Merge tag 'sunxi-dt-for-6.3-1' ...) . I really like this D1 chip. Its entry level, single core, low power 1W SoC (ca. 0.1-0.2A@5V). Its like your ESP32 on steroids if you wish.There are some OS images out there with fullblown Xorg and stuff for this chip. This is nonsense. Its not your desktop system. Use buildroot to generate specific OS builds and you have a very capable platform for IoT.

Comment

Originally posted by ikruusa View Post
                  There are more RISC-V related changes for 6.3 than just this pull request. In particular, the linux-next tree aready includes kernel config option and (partial) device trees for Allwinner sun20i SoCs, ie. Allwinner D1 and related boards (look for Merge tag 'sunxi-dt-for-6.3-1' ...) . I really like this D1 chip. Its entry level, single core, low power 1W SoC (ca. 0.1-0.2A@5V). Its like your ESP32 on steroids if you wish.There are some OS images out there with fullblown Xorg and stuff for this chip. This is nonsense. Its not your desktop system. Use buildroot to generate specific OS builds and you have a very capable platform for IoT.
                  I've got a D1s board, so I'm interested in what you're doing with the D1.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

I've got a D1s board, so I'm interested in what you're doing with the D1.
                    Oh, very nice! By the way, I just ordered Mango Pi MQ-R board also (D1s based). My current board is Lichee RV dock. One of my interests is related to the audio and possible DSP processing (with Cadence Tensilica HiFi4). Another plan is to replace my Raspberry Pi 3 as a temperature sensor gateway (I'm plannig to use D1s for that, I think 64MB RAM is enough). Of course currently I'm waiting for the better Linux support, especially fully functional audio driver (audio capture doesnt work atm). I even tried to figure out whats wrong with audio driver and investigated the content of some D1 registers with devmem. There are some incorrect values (or setup I would say) indeed but I don't know how to fix the driver. At least for now. I hope Samuel Holland will find some time for that Currently I'm using buildroot to build OS images for testing and learning. It's really fun stuff. I wrote some trivial test scripts for different D1 resources also: https://github.com/ikruusa/lichee-rv-dock-demos

Comment

Working...
                    X