• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Testing Out The SSD Mode In Btrfs

Testing Out The SSD Mode In Btrfs

Phoronix: Testing Out The SSD Mode In Btrfs

One month ago we provided benchmarks of the Btrfs file-system and found that while it contained many features to make it a next-generation Linux file-system, its disk performance was rather displeasing. We had found the EXT4 file-system ran faster in a number of the tests and even EXT3 and XFS had their own advantages. Besides offering features like snapshots and online defragmentation, Btrfs has a mode that is optimized for solid-state drives. Will the Btrfs SSD mode cause this new Oracle-sponsored file-system to be the best for non-rotating media? We have benchmarks in this article, but the results may not be what one would expect.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13895

• Louise
    replied
    Churning Butter(FS): An Interview with Chris Mason
    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7329

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    Originally posted by mason View Post
    Thanks, it is always fun to see btrfs benchmarking done. Sun doesn't really change the Btrfs development plan, we'll be pushing forward with features and generally getting the FS ready for production.
    Phew... I am so revealed to hear that. btrFS is just too cool to be true, so we are many that was worried, that Oracle would just use ZFS instead.

The features I am looking the most forward to are

* snapshots
    * Subvolumes
    * Checksums
    * defragmentation

I think subvolumes will end up being the most used feature for many, as open SSH doesn't come with this.

I'm afraid I don't know any of the long term plans for licensing on Sun tech.
    This will be interesting then

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Thanks for running these, just a note that the mount -o ssd option has changed quite a bit during 2.6.30-rc, so updating the kernel should give different results.

At least on my ssd, it does improve writeback speeds quite a bit
    Welcome and thanks, we'll definitely be checking out the newer kernel.

Leave a comment:

• mason
    replied
    Originally posted by Louise View Post
    Cool, that you are on the forum. Welcome

I think every user on this forum is wondering what Oracle have of plans once Sun is acquired in turns of btrFS and ZFS.

Can you explain the situation there?

Will Oracle continue to puts all its weights behind btrFS, or will ZFS take btrFS's place?

And will ZFS be GPLv2'ed?
    Thanks, it is always fun to see btrfs benchmarking done. Sun doesn't really change the Btrfs development plan, we'll be pushing forward with features and generally getting the FS ready for production.

I'm afraid I don't know any of the long term plans for licensing on Sun tech.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I've read the article. I'll just say "LOL" at Btrfs's SSD option: LOL

Leave a comment:

• unix_epoch
    replied
    Though a bit more commentary and some journalistic digging into the causes of regressions (i.e. asking on mailing lists) would be appreciated, if Phoronix (or anyone) decided to benchmark something of mine while I was working on it, I would appreciate the extra testing, as they may find a performance problem or bug that my own tests missed because I was too busy focusing on development.

Leave a comment:

• Louise
    replied
    Thanks for running these, just a note that the mount -o ssd option has changed quite a bit during 2.6.30-rc, so updating the kernel should give different results.

Cool, that you are on the forum. Welcome

I think every user on this forum is wondering what Oracle have of plans once Sun is acquired in turns of btrFS and ZFS.

Can you explain the situation there?

Will Oracle continue to puts all its weights behind btrFS, or will ZFS take btrFS's place?

And will ZFS be GPLv2'ed?

Leave a comment:

• mason
    replied
    mount -o ssd updates in 2.6.30-rc

Leave a comment:

• Setlec
    replied
    from what i've read on the linux magazine this month edition in brazil it's state the buy of sun enterprise by oracle, unless i miss read. But my worries are what will happen to (open)solaris and its technologies? what will happen to MySQL and OpenOffice? will oracle maintain everything as Sun did or will oracle kill those open source projects?

EDIT: Sorry being of topic!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X