Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GROMACS 2023 Released With Better SYCL For Intel / AMD / NVIDIA

Phoronix: GROMACS 2023 Released With Better SYCL For Intel / AMD / NVIDIA

GROMACS as the widely-used molecular dynamics software issued its stable v2023 release this week with improved GPU support via SYCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again not my area of expertise, but I'd be interested to see how that sycl nvidia backend compares to the cuda one.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
      Again not my area of expertise, but I'd be interested to see how that sycl nvidia backend compares to the cuda one.
      (GROMACS dev here)

In what way? Feature-wise, there are currently some minor limitations like cufft support is missing, but vkfft can be used (since we are only using it as a portability check and development aid). In terms of performance, single-GPU it is about 10-30% slower, depending on a number of factors like problem size, compiler versions, etc.. Multi-GPU scaling is not something we prioritized or tested much at this time on NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by pszilard View Post
        single-GPU it is about 10-30% slower
        As in sycl is 30% slower?

Thats still quite good! In machine learning land, any attempt to port away native CUDA I've seen results in an enormous performance hit on Nvidia GPUs, though there are some more recent efforts to narrow the gap (like MLIR).

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

As in sycl is 30% slower?
          Yes, that is 0.7x absolute performance (close to worst case) for very small inputs where the runtime overheads relative to CUDA increase.

Comment

Originally posted by pszilard View Post

Yes, that is 0.7x absolute performance (close to worst case) for very small inputs where the runtime overheads relative to CUDA increase.
            PS: That was against CUDA with plain streams, at that end of the use-case range (~100-200 microseconds/iteration a dozen or so kernels/iteration), CUDA graphs gives another 5-10% performance.

Comment

Working...
            X