systemd 253-rc2 Released With More Changes To This System & Service Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 253-rc2 Released With More Changes To This System & Service Manager

Phoronix: systemd 253-rc2 Released With More Changes To This System & Service Manager

Following last month's release of systemd 253-rc1 with many new features and changes in tow, out today is a second release candidate and is piling yet more features into this Linux system and service manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

two hours and still 0 comments! what's going on here? let's try adding btrfs and wayland in the headline, Michael!

jokes apart, nice release!

my favourite feature is being able to unlock LUKS devices at boot via my FIDO2 token.
    Last edited by cynic; 03 February 2023, 04:16 AM. Reason: update: mispelled Michael name!

Comment

systemd-sleep 'HibernateDelaySec=' setting is changed back to pre-v252's behaviour, and a new 'SuspendEstimationSec=' setting is added to provide the new initial value for the new automated battery estimation functionality. If 'HibernateDelaySec=' is set to any value, the automated estimate (and thus the automated hibernation on low battery to avoid data loss) functionality will be disabled.​
      The new behavior in v252 confused me a lot and was irritating to find my laptop discharged as it had not hibernated. Glad to see this fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
        two hours and still 0 comments! what's going on here? let's try adding btrfs and wayland in the headline, Micheal!

jokes apart, nice release!

my favourite feature is being able to unlock LUKS devices at boot via my FIDO2 token.
        I like that OpenFile=... feature

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          two hours and still 0 comments! what's going on here? let's try adding btrfs and wayland in the headline, Micheal!
          Let's say btrfs will be rewritten in Rust with a hard dependency on systemd and a new management tool that will only work on Wayland. That would surely trigger the notorious snowflakes

Comment

I tried Ubuntu the other day and couldn't believe how slow it was to boot, login, and to start normal programs like Nautilus, gnome-terminal, and Brave. Brave took what seemed like forever to load, which I attributed to it being a snap package. But why was the rest of the system such a dog - is it Gnome, systemd, wayland, some combination? This is a fairly zippy machine with an i7 and an nvme drive and lots of ram, and antiX, Void, Trisquel and Devuan all boot in just a few seconds and login quickly. And Trisquel is a systemd distro. I couldn't figure it out. I switched to the Xorg login on Ubuntu to see if that would be faster, and it was no better. Everything was lagging - entering keystrokes into gnome-terminal was lagging by a second or two. What a miserable experience.

Anyway, I guess this is totally off-topic, and the answer is probably that everybody knows that Ubuntu is just a terrible experience. It was 22.04, and applying updates and applying snap updates did not help the situation. I tried removing the "tracker-miner-fs" program as it just sounds like an awful pig of a program and I don't need search in Nautilus, but apt said that removing it would take down the entire Ubuntu desktop. Finally I built DWM and logged into that and most non-snap things ran at normal speed again. I uninstalled the snap Brave and installed the .deb version using the instructions on the Brave website, and it started working normally.

Probably nothing to do with systemd, just a lousy default desktop setup, but I certainly thought about systemd being one of the culprits.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              I tried removing the "tracker-miner-fs" program as it just sounds like an awful pig of a program and I don't need search in Nautilus, but apt said that removing it would take down the entire Ubuntu desktop.
              Yes that the gnome indexing program. Its not only Ubuntu were attempting to uninstall it causes horrible things to happen.

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Probably nothing to do with systemd, just a lousy default desktop setup, but I certainly thought about systemd being one of the culprits.
              How to completely disable Tracker, so it no longer indexes any files, and stop having any Tracker process running in the background?

When you read this gnome tracker is lousy default desktop setup and distribution packaging dependency binding working in combination to make experience more horrible than it should be. In fact it systemd that can take gnome tracker offline without uninstalling it. Yes gnome tracker completely disabled by systemd shows that most of it could be optional dependencies. If you want to set up a system running multi users being able to kill gnome tracker by uninstalling packages would be a good thing.

Yes gnome tracker is minor-ally linked to systemd because systemd user manages it services just like lot of other desktop parts these days.

Comment

Did they rewrite it in Rust, Vulkan, and Wayland yet? Also, did they fix the bug where my computer locks the screen if I don't drink coffee before 9AM while using NVIDIA GPU?
                Last edited by ClosedSource; 03 February 2023, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Let's say btrfs will be rewritten in Rust with a hard dependency on systemd and a new management tool that will only work on Wayland. That would surely trigger the notorious snowflakes
                  Hard dependencies on systemd on all Linux filesystems to force Google to adopt systemd on Android and Chromium OS or switch to Fuchsia​ when

Comment

Originally posted by Nozo View Post
                    Hard dependencies on systemd on all Linux filesystems to force Google to adopt systemd on Android and Chromium OS or switch to Fuchsia​ when
                    Chromium OS still uses upstart by default. Yes final official release of that was 8 years ago and there are a known set of major bugs.

There was a issue opened to convert Chromium OS to systemd the work is half done with majority of the systemd service/unit files already written.

So hard dependencies on systemd would basically force Chromium OS to finish off it conversion from upstart to systemd that is over 95% done. Lot of ways Chromium OS should finish of this conversion to get rid of unsupported part and get cgroup resource control. Yes upstart using ptrace to track processes is highly problematic and cause of particular Chrome OS crashes as well. Basically Chrome OS choice of init system is kicking the end users where it hurts from time to time and can be proved be fixed by building Chromium OS with systemd enabled.

Chromium OS is more Google need excuse to finish the the work they already done. For users is work completed would be a good thing. Yes big part that missing is formal agreement to change the default from upstart to systemd as basically everything else is done.

Android would be a completely different problem. Android has a high resistance to using anything GPL licensed in userspace and does have it own cgroup management implementation https://source.android.com/docs/core/perf/cgroups so not using ptrace or other stupid methods to attempt to track processes. So there is no stability improvement here changing to systemd. Yes Android following historic nature for anything they don't like would be they would fork the file system tools and make android ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X