Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD P-State EPP Patches Spun An 8th Time For Helping Out Linux Performance & Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD P-State EPP Patches Spun An 8th Time For Helping Out Linux Performance & Efficiency

Phoronix: AMD P-State EPP Patches Spun An 8th Time For Helping Out Linux Performance & Efficiency

AMD kicked off Christmas week by posting an eighth version of their P-State EPP driver patches for implementing the AMD Energy Performance Preference handling within their recent processors/SoCs for software to hint a performance or energy efficiency hint. P-State EPP can address some of the shortcomings with AMD's original P-State driver implementation merged nearly a year ago and has been showing good results in numbers posted by AMD engineers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

no link to primary source?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      no link to primary source?
      HTML tag got messed up, should be in there now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hm, all they showed is that pstate ondemad is killing it and all EPP variants are far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Hm, all they showed is that pstate ondemad is killing it and all EPP variants are far behind.
          Just at the performance per watt according the benchmarks.
          I am using the epp driver since the first patch and it is running very well. The scaling works way better on my 5900X and also it is using less power in idle and other normal tasks.
          Performance wise is the amd-pstate-epp (powersave gov, power preference) near or same as the acpi-cpufreq performance is. I did run a lot of benchmarks and the performance of it is really good.
          Looking really forward until this get merged.

Comment

v8 patches are broken. Compile fails on 6.1 and 6.2 kernels.

Comment

I'm kinda amazed how people manage to get their fonts so blurry and impossible to read under Linux.

Here's how I see the same table:

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                v8 patches are broken. Compile fails on 6.1 and 6.2 kernels.
                Compiled fine at me. No issues. Are you building with WERROR ?

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
                  Just at the performance per watt according the benchmarks.
                  Only the second bech gives a value for throughput and pstate ondemand has the highest throughput while having the same energy consumption, therefore winning in absolute perf and on efficiency. The first bench is useless, as long as we don't know any performance number.

Also those values are probably unique for every single CPU, you can't compare ROME with desktop

Originally posted by avis View Post
                  I'm kinda amazed how people manage to get their fonts so blurry and impossible to read under Linux.
                  I don't know what that has got to do with Linux? It's just an image scaled up slightly, that never looks good with pixel art. If you view the original table 1:1 it's as sharp as a dressed man. And your version is also blurry (scaled up).

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

Compiled fine at me. No issues. Are you building with WERROR ?
                    Yes, it's the default option. Should i disable it?

Comment

Working...
                    X