Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Outlines Why They Are Removing JPEG-XL Support From Chrome

Phoronix: Google Outlines Why They Are Removing JPEG-XL Support From Chrome

Following yesterday's article about Google Chrome preparing to deprecate the JPEG-XL image format, a Google engineer has now provided their reasons for dropping this next-generation image format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Google seems to be the new Gnome!
    Removing stuff that people are using or want to use in this case.
    I find their reasons pretty lame.

Comment

Google is worse than Microsoft have ever been. I don't understand why people give them a free pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Google seems to be the new Gnome!
        Removing stuff that people are using or want to use in this case.
        I find their reasons pretty lame.
        It might be related to Microsoft getting patents on some technologies related to JPEG XL against the the wishes of the inventor of that technology and without promising free licensing…?

(From what I understand, the patent probably doesn’t cover displaying JPEG XL images right now, but it could block optimal use of it in the future.)
        Last edited by JanC; 30 October 2022, 08:33 PM.

Comment

- Experimental flags and code should not remain indefinitely
          Hard to argue.

- There is not enough interest from the entire ecosystem to continue experimenting with JPEG XL
          Read: we've decided to push AV1F/webp2 no matter what. We don't give a fuck that on a technical level JPEG XL is above and beyond both formats and can replace basically all image formats on the web (JPG, PNG and GIF) at one fell swoop and could immensely simplify content management for content providers.

- The new image format does not bring sufficient incremental benefits over existing formats to warrant enabling it by default
          That's just lies. That's so much lies Pinocchio's nose looks totally normal.

- By removing the flag and the code in M110, it reduces the maintenance burden and allows us to focus on improving existing formats in Chrome
          "Collaborative" "Open" source except when it's not open and not collaborative.

And don't think for a second Chrome forks including Microsoft Edge will retain the format. They won't. Too "much" maintenance.

Fuck you Google.

Comment

LMAO what BS, thats just a blatant lie on their end about lack of interest

Comment

I really thought it was a mistake and I know I shouldn't be surprised about another axed google project but I am. Another recession victim I suppose? Or maybe just moved to a different, easier to justify, project... Either way, there's still some hope for jxl if browsers end up pulling it as an external library dependency. Though I have to admit as features go, it's not one I can't live without.

Well, maybe now someone will take the time to rewrite the bruteforcing in jpegultrascan in the GPU. Those silly perl scripts take hours to do what could be done in seconds and whenever you bring it up you're told to just use a newer image format... :/

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                It might be related to Microsoft getting patents on some technologies related to JPEG XL against the the wishes of the inventor of that technology and without promising free licensing…?

(From what I understand, the patent probably doesn’t cover displaying JPEG XL images right now, but it could block optimal use of it in the future.)
                so basically
                "Microsoft loves Linux"
                "Microsoft joined OIN"
                except f... them, let's buy and lock it?

could you find some sources for that move?

Comment

It was never enabled in the first place. No other browser supports the format. Nothing was lost.

Comment

https://jpegxl.io/articles/rans/

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/13/microsoft_ans_patent/

Comment

Working...
                    X