Linux 6.2 Begins Making Preparations For 800 Gbps Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
    Yes, faster network connection is great, but just note that it is rare for people to restore from backup using 4G/5G.
    Most of the time you would use wifi and you don't do that frequently.
    True, but you still need a fast connection so you can use it whenever you need it.

And the cost is important too, nobody has unlimited budget.
    With that considered, most of the time 1Gbps would be more than enough.
    I personally uses 10Mbps 4G now unfortunately and I wish I have access to 100Mbps, which will make downloading much faster.
    Cost is relative to the country. In Romania I bought a data package of over 120 GB for 12 EUR this spring (on vacation). Stuff happens, sometimes you have to do a factory reset on a device, and restore everything through mobile data on the road.

I am mainly talking about the 1.8PB connection to the WAN which timofonic is using as an example to say that Lazy RCU is useless.
    Not to mention that you would never run at that fast on a 4G/5G/wifi or whatever *G mobile devices.

Who in the right mind would buy that?
    Even in 5-8 years time, I bet 1.8PB internet connection to WAN would still be quite expensive and most people still won't need them.
    Sure, the crazy-fast speeds are first developed for those with special needs first, and then the technology might be used for regular consumers. As an example, a 1.8PB connection would've been perfect two years ago, for the scientists who took images of a black hole. They had to ship about half a ton of hard drives because it would've taken longer to transfer the data through the internet.

For home users that's clearly not necessary, any time soon. But I've been in IT for over two decades and I learned to say "never" way less. There's 10 Gbps internet in Romania, for ~10 EUR/month. 20 years ago I was on dial-up at 56 Kbps - and I paid a lot more. That's an insane difference, and even if I compare 56 Kbps with the 1 Gbps internet, it still feels insane considering how many things I could do with that 56K connection. But the internet is radically different today - YouTube already offers 8K. A 100 Mbps connection struggles with two users consuming 8K, and that's just watching stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
      True, but you still need a fast connection so you can use it whenever you need it.
      Not that I against that, but most of the time you would balance the frequency of that and the cost of that.

Cost is relative to the country. In Romania I bought a data package of over 120 GB for 12 EUR this spring (on vacation). Stuff happens, sometimes you have to do a factory reset on a device, and restore everything through mobile data on the road.
      Yes.

Sure, the crazy-fast speeds are first developed for those with special needs first, and then the technology might be used for regular consumers. As an example, a 1.8PB connection would've been perfect two years ago, for the scientists who took images of a black hole. They had to ship about half a ton of hard drives because it would've taken longer to transfer the data through the internet.

I agree.

For home users that's clearly not necessary, any time soon. But I've been in IT for over two decades and I learned to say "never" way less. There's 10 Gbps internet in Romania, for ~10 EUR/month. 20 years ago I was on dial-up at 56 Kbps - and I paid a lot more. That's an insane difference, and even if I compare 56 Kbps with the 1 Gbps internet, it still feels insane considering how many things I could do with that 56K connection.

Yes, there's a lot can be done with 64K.
      I feel like it could even do more if the compression algorithm is more advanced.

But the internet is radically different today - YouTube already offers 8K. A 100 Mbps connection struggles with two users consuming 8K, and that's just watching stuff.
      Firstly, 8K is almost reaching the point of diminishing return, LTT has just published a video on that today https://youtu.be/1y5jEK-72JQ
      Secondly, 8K requires you to have a 8K TV to enjoy that. It doesn't make sense to have 8K on mobile or tablet and also doesn't make much sense for monitor.
      Thridly, most people watch youtube on mobile or tablet for fun and using even 4K would not make a lot of sense to them.
      Lastly, youtube has limited 4K to premium user only (and I subscribed to premium for other reasons) and LTT also has a video on that which makes a lot of sense for me https://youtu.be/MDsJJRNXjYI

Comment

Not that I against that, but most of the time you would balance the frequency of that and the cost of that.
        That's the thing, when it's cheap enough, the price no longer matters.

​Firstly, 8K is almost reaching the point of diminishing return, LTT has just published a video on that today https://youtu.be/1y5jEK-72JQ
        Secondly, 8K requires you to have a 8K TV to enjoy that. It doesn't make sense to have 8K on mobile or tablet and also doesn't make much sense for monitor.
        Thridly, most people watch youtube on mobile or tablet for fun and using even 4K would not make a lot of sense to them.
        Lastly, youtube has limited 4K to premium user only (and I subscribed to premium for other reasons) and LTT also has a video on that which makes a lot of sense for me https://youtu.be/MDsJJRNXjYI
        Yeah, watching content bigger than the screen's maximum resolution is pointless, other than testing the hardware's capability. :P

But on YouTube... I don't know. SpaceX broadcast their launches in 4K and I can switch to it without having Premium. 4K does seem available for everyone, even smaller youtubers can post videos in 4K.

Comment

But on YouTube... I don't know. SpaceX broadcast their launches in 4K and I can switch to it without having Premium.
          4K does seem available for everyone, even smaller youtubers can post videos in 4K.
          I watched SpaceX broadcast a few times (maybe twice?) and I don't think 4K actually matters.
          Besides, the broadcast is often blurry because of the source is blurry though.

4K does seem available for everyone, even smaller youtubers can post videos in 4K.
          I think youtube made that decision recently for the watcher, youtubers can always post videos in 4K but to watch them you need premium.

Comment

I watched SpaceX broadcast a few times (maybe twice?) and I don't think 4K actually matters.
            Besides, the broadcast is often blurry because of the source is blurry though.
            The ground shots are fine because they have the necessary bandwidth and no interference, but the ones from their stages can't broadcast quality 4K yet. Starlink is still too young for that, but I expect them to be able to do it at some point. It's their bread and butter.

I think youtube made that decision recently for the watcher, youtubers can always post videos in 4K but to watch them you need premium.
            4K works for regular users, like myself, I just tried it again. Even 8K works, but my PC can't handle it. :P

Comment

The ground shots are fine because they have the necessary bandwidth and no interference, but the ones from their stages can't broadcast quality 4K yet. Starlink is still too young for that, but I expect them to be able to do it at some point. It's their bread and butter.
              Yes the 4K content is limited and most content already looks quite good at 1080p or 1440p.

4K works for regular users, like myself, I just tried it again. Even 8K works, but my PC can't handle it. :P
              Yes that is the point, 8K works, but you don't have the device and you also don't need it anyway.

Comment

Yes that is the point, 8K works, but you don't have the device and you also don't need it anyway.
                I merely confirmed that 4K and 8K are not restricted from regular YouTube users. Also, I have an i5-4690K with Intel HD Graphics 4600, so of course it can't handle 8K, but that's beside the point.

Comment

I merely confirmed that 4K and 8K are not restricted from regular YouTube users. Also, I have an i5-4690K with Intel HD Graphics 4600, so of course it can't handle 8K, but that's beside the point.
                  Does youtube allow 4K for non-premium users? That's different from what I have heard.

Comment

Does youtube allow 4K for non-premium users? That's different from what I have heard.
                    I've been saying that for the last 3 replies. You can confirm this in a private browser window, where you don't log in.

Here's a SpaceX 4K video to test.

Comment

I've been saying that for the last 3 replies. You can confirm this in a private browser window, where you don't log in.

Here's a SpaceX 4K video to test.
                      I can only select at best 720p without logging in.

Comment

Working...
                      X