No announcement yet.

FUSE Adding Support For Non-Extending Parallel Direct Writes To The Same File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUSE Adding Support For Non-Extending Parallel Direct Writes To The Same File

Phoronix: FUSE Adding Support For Non-Extending Parallel Direct Writes To The Same File

Queued up in FUSE's "for-next" kernel branch is a patch worked on in recent months for allowing non-extending parallel direct writes to the same file...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that should be a pretty big boost for things like databases and VMs. I wonder how FUSE performance compares with native filesystems, these days.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Wow, that should be a pretty big boost for things like databases and VMs. I wonder how FUSE performance compares with native filesystems, these days.
      I actuallly found out a couple of years ago that samba over GVFS/FUSE is extremely slow compared to kernel-based CIFS mounts (https://discuss.getsol.us/d/6411-sam...runs-very-slow). I currently mount my TrueNAS shares from /etc/fstab due to this.

I think I'm going to give FUSE another try to see how much it has progressed. It doesn't have to beat kernel-based solutions in speed, just be close enough. The usability aspect of being able to mount dynamically is equally important, but back then it cost too much in speed...

Comment

The ol' local machine storage/network bandwidth/server storage juggle.

Did the recent Paragon native NTFS driver ever progress to usable, if not better than, FUSE?
        Hi

Comment

Stay tuned, more improvements to fuse to come soon

Comment

Working...
          X