Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 Features Include Initial Rust Code, MGLRU, New AMD CPU Features, More Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbean
    replied
    So performance improvements with btrfs are nice, but am I the only one who thinks the most notable improvement to btrfs in 6.1 is the sysfs option to skip qgroup accounting? I mean this isn't extent tree v2 performance improvements to quotas, but still, it's a massive performance increasing workaround that I welcome. Lets you delete subvolumes without having the filesystem become totally unusable and then rescan afterwards. Could actually make using quotas possible with snapshots if handled correctly.

Ok... block group tree is also a massive change. No more minutes long mount times on very large arrays.

Leave a comment:

• fitzie
    replied
    Originally posted by xcom View Post
    Hello All! Anyone here with Vega cards has issue with gpu clock stuck at low levels? I think is a firmware issue because when i reboot from Windows it's fine..
    playing around with the value of /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level seems to be working for me for both mclk and sclk.

Leave a comment:

• fitzie
    replied
    Hello All! Anyone here with Vega cards has issue with gpu clock stuck at low levels? I think is a firmware issue because when i reboot from Windows it's fine..
    my MCLK seems stuck but SCLK is changing. radeon vii with 5.19.15

Leave a comment:

• Lech
    replied
    Me, it's also hard freezing very frequently on this kernel, 5.19 works fine.
    Last edited by Lech; 17 October 2022, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xcom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    i remember hearing somewhere that .0 versions are deliberately made uninteresting in order to make a solid base for people that jump straight from .0 to .0
    I don't think there's anything special about Linux version numbers these days.
    It's just my brain wanting to apply some magic meaning to bigger numbers, where there is none.
    As for Linus piggly wiggly toes, that's just humor.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

there's nothing special about .0 versions of the Linux kernel.
    And there is no one jumping from .0 to .0 either

Leave a comment:

• hotaru
    replied
    Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    i remember hearing somewhere that .0 versions are deliberately made uninteresting in order to make a solid base for people that jump straight from .0 to .0
    there's nothing special about .0 versions of the Linux kernel.

Leave a comment:

• bachchain
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
    It looks like 6.1 will be what 6.0 should have been.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Michael: About the EFI confidential compute entry in the article: Someone coming at that cold without looking into the context might interpret your choice of words to mean that Linux is trying to work around confidential computing as if it were undesirable rather than integrating support for EFI confidential computing. Just a nitpick

I hope 6.1 (or 6.2) does make it to LTS status. There's several improvements in the kernel that would indirectly and directly benefit the hardware I primarily use for Linux. Looking forward to the trickle down into my installation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X