Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 Features Include Initial Rust Code, MGLRU, New AMD CPU Features, More Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 Features Include Initial Rust Code, MGLRU, New AMD CPU Features, More Security

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Features Include Initial Rust Code, MGLRU, New AMD CPU Features, More Security

Now that Linux 6.1-rc1 was released, here is my look at all of the interesting kernel changes and new features that landed over the past two weeks. Linux 6.1 is shaping up to be another exciting kernel with many new software features, new hardware enablement work, and other changes for this end-of-year 2022 kernel version that is also likely to be the next Linux LTS release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks like 6.1 will be what 6.0 should have been.
    5.20? Doesn't Linus have ten fingers and ten toes?

Comment

Michael: About the EFI confidential compute entry in the article: Someone coming at that cold without looking into the context might interpret your choice of words to mean that Linux is trying to work around confidential computing as if it were undesirable rather than integrating support for EFI confidential computing. Just a nitpick

I hope 6.1 (or 6.2) does make it to LTS status. There's several improvements in the kernel that would indirectly and directly benefit the hardware I primarily use for Linux. Looking forward to the trickle down into my installation.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        It looks like 6.1 will be what 6.0 should have been.
        i remember hearing somewhere that .0 versions are deliberately made uninteresting in order to make a solid base for people that jump straight from .0 to .0

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          i remember hearing somewhere that .0 versions are deliberately made uninteresting in order to make a solid base for people that jump straight from .0 to .0
          there's nothing special about .0 versions of the Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

there's nothing special about .0 versions of the Linux kernel.
            And there is no one jumping from .0 to .0 either
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
              I don't think there's anything special about Linux version numbers these days.
              It's just my brain wanting to apply some magic meaning to bigger numbers, where there is none.
              As for Linus piggly wiggly toes, that's just humor.

Comment

Hello All! Anyone here with Vega cards has issue with gpu clock stuck at low levels? I think is a firmware issue because when i reboot from Windows it's fine..

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                  Hello All! Anyone here with Vega cards has issue with gpu clock stuck at low levels? I think is a firmware issue because when i reboot from Windows it's fine..
                  Me, it's also hard freezing very frequently on this kernel, 5.19 works fine.
                  Last edited by Lech; 17 October 2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                    my MCLK seems stuck but SCLK is changing. radeon vii with 5.19.15

Comment

Working...
                    X