Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1-rc1 Released With Rust Now In The Kernel, MGLRU Added, New Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1-rc1 Released With Rust Now In The Kernel, MGLRU Added, New Hardware Support

Phoronix: Linux 6.1-rc1 Released With Rust Now In The Kernel, MGLRU Added, New Hardware Support

Linus Torvalds just issued the first release candidate of Linux 6.1 and in turn marking the end of the merge window for this feature-packaged kernel release. Linux 6.1 stable in turn should be out in December and will likely serve as this year's Linux LTS kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

phoronix Michael, could you benchmark intel arc with rebar disabled? Some people are saying that configuration will eventually perform better on linux than on windows

If tagged him incorrectly, let me know

Comment

Typo: Broken end of link: "... printing the CPU cores where seg faults occur, a feature that would have caught all the memcpy-based buffer overflows/a> of recent years, and much more."

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowderGuy View Post
        phoronix Michael, could you benchmark intel arc with rebar disabled? Some people are saying that configuration will eventually perform better on linux than on windows

If tagged him incorrectly, let me know
        i am curious in one thing, why are you interest in something thats pretty much DOA?

Brand loyalty?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

i am curious in one thing, why are you interest in something thats pretty much DOA?

Brand loyalty?
          Why would you think he had brand loyalty to a brand that just now exists? Also, there are some seriously good use cases for this card, if you aren't using it for gaming. Myself, I like reading about tech even if I will never use it. Why can't it just be that?

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Why would you think he had brand loyalty to a brand that just now exists? Also, there are some seriously good use cases for this card, if you aren't using it for gaming. Myself, I like reading about tech even if I will never use it. Why can't it just be that?
            You do know that we are talking about Intel?

Arc is just a line of products from them.

But seems like I touched a loyalty nerveā€¦

Comment

This is not the place for this discussion. But I would point out that the Arc line of GPUs are terrible, but cheap. And they are the only current cards for a decent price that have working AV1 encode ability. That does count for something.

Comment

GunpowderGuy Perhaps this will help?

Phoronix: Intel Outlines Arc A750 Graphics Card For $289, More Arc Graphics Details Earlier this week at the Intel Innovation event it was announced the Arc Graphics A770 would be launching 12 October and the base model costing $329 USD. Today the embargo lifts on more details around Intel's forthcoming higher-end Arc Graphics

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

I am telling you your algorithm for detecting BS is off. I also want more competition in the marketplace. Frankly, I would prefer 20+ designs on the market, because it would be good for consumers. And more than anything, I enjoy tech, and have since the 80's. I don't have brand loyalty, I have tech loyalty, and welcome good ideas, features and designs.

You didn't hit a nerve with me, you hit one with yourself, so that you are deceiving yourself in your understanding of motives.

Now, back to the discussion. It is a shame that the LTS release is the first one with Rust this year. That seems like it was badly planned. I would have preferred it being the next cycle, so that Rust had more real world usage under its belt.

I am definitively looking forward to MGLRU, which has been in production with Google for quite some time

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Rewriting kernel algorithms from C to Rust will bring performance improvements, not because Rust code runs faster than C, but because a rewrite from language X to language Y offers an opportunity to rethink the algorithm. In my opinion, major rewrites are unlikely to happen before kernel version ~6.10 though (~2 years from today).
                    Crucial Linux algorithms are already constanly reviewed (see filesystems layers, scheduler, mm) without the need to RIIR.

Comment

Working...
                    X