Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PostgreSQL 15 Released With Better Sort Performance, Supports LZ4 & Zstd Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 15 Released With Better Sort Performance, Supports LZ4 & Zstd Compression

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 15 Released With Better Sort Performance, Supports LZ4 & Zstd Compression

PostgreSQL 15 is out today as the newest major feature release to this leading open-source database solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any usability and user-friendly improvements?

There is a new multi-model database written in Rust called SurrealDB with support WebSocket streaming of database updates. It does away with joins and instead uses relation links. It seems quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What kind of "usability" do you miss in Postgres?

Comment

There is a new multi-model database written in Rust called SurrealDB with support WebSocket streaming of database updates. (...)
        I'm not sure if this what you mean, but there is a notification system (EVENT / NOTIFY) in PostgreSQL, you can notify listeners in a trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

What kind of "usability" do you miss in Postgres?
          Great CLI tools with autocomplete when I press the tab key. Sanely design commands, options, arguments, paramters. Neatly structured output on --help. Colored output on the terminal. Helpful diagnostics like the Rust compiler which not only tells you which line and column the error is on but actually highlights the exact code.

All tools unified under one tool (like git and apt-get), not scattered around.

Describe error messages that offers a solution, not "Query failed", but "The user account lacks the permission READ to the table Orders."

A modern frontend with a modern UI, not some third-party application with a 90s UI that requires the Java runtime or requires me to install and configure a web server.

Comment

There is a new multi-model database written in Rust called SurrealDB with support WebSocket streaming of database updates. It does away with joins and instead uses relation links. It seems quite interesting.

Depending on what one is doing, it'd be quite worrying for a client application to have direct access to the DB in regards to ddos attacks, but it's an interesting idea.

Comment

Great CLI tools with autocomplete when I press the tab key. Sanely design commands, options, arguments, paramters. Neatly structured output on --help. Colored output on the terminal. Helpful diagnostics like the Rust compiler which not only tells you which line and column the error is on but actually highlights the exact code.

All tools unified under one tool (like git and apt-get), not scattered around.
              psql should already have autocomplete. Many people swear by it. Others just use other SQL clients. For admin tools, backwards compatibility needs to be maintained. Patches for help messages are always welcome I guess.

Describe error messages that offers a solution, not "Query failed", but "The user account lacks the permission READ to the table Orders."
              Postgresql returns error codes and error messages when a query fails. Those make it possible to find out the cause of the error.

A modern frontend with a modern UI, not some third-party application with a 90s UI that requires the Java runtime or requires me to install and configure a web server.
              Postgresql does not have an official GUI, and it's way outside their scope to provide one. Not sure what you mean with a modern UI (I know Pgadmin 4, but despise it), but you are free to use whatever database clients are compatible.

Comment

That’s all nice but until Postgress has no multi master replication, like galera cluster for mariadb, its usage is very limited. Really I want my website or service would not fail if a computer reboots. I dont want to write in software special handling on where to look for backup server and then thinking how synchronize it back

Comment

Michael

Typo/Grammar

"feature release to this leading" should be "feature release of this leading"

"As for the performance work to find with PostgreSQL 15" should be "As for the performance work to be found with PostgreSQL 15"

"LZ4 and Zstd compression is now​" should be "LZ4 and Zstd compression are now​" (the word "is" is singular, but there are two compression types)

Comment

It's not SQL compatible, which is a big red flag for me. But then, looking at the available drivers, it seems like this is not targeted at regular RDBMS use-cases anyway - eg no JDBC or ODBC. Hardly seems like a good reason to hijack a Postgres release discussion.

Comment

Working...
                    X